Flash Lights, Whats good now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MarkKBike, Jan 8, 2018.

1. #1 Posted Jan 8, 2018

Finally riding a big boys bike

I want to buy a new one, and was wondering what high power ones are out there today.

Last week I stopped at harbor freight to pick up some consumables (Nitrile Gloves, Superglue, Touch up brushes....etc.), and was just browsing around. The store I went to had a led bulb that looked like it might be a direct replacement for the old police style d battery Maglights. The packaging did not say it was for maglights, but it looked like it would fit, and I decided to try it out.

https://www.harborfreight.com/led-upgrade-for-c-and-d-cell-flashlights-65639.html

The Bullb was on clearance for about 6 bucks. It ended up being a direct replacement and a really cheap upgrade to a old out of date design.

After getting home, and testing it out I was really happy with the upgrade. My curiosity was sparked and I also started researching around for whats available today. I found this one for sale at menards.

https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...0-c-6314.htm?tid=-3161928168272574369&ipos=12

3000 lumens would be a lot brighter than my upgraded Maglight.

Does anyone have any flashlights of similar price (around 45$) that they really like?

Also if anyone has any of those older Maglights, I don't think spending 6$ on the harbor freight bulb is a bad investment. I understand it's outclassed in power and size by the newer flashlights available today. But if you already have one, its definitely a improvement and the new bulb still maintains the flashlights focus ability.

I have some newer led flashlights that are also pretty bright, but I don't think I ever spent more than 25$ on one, and they certainly are not 3000 lumens which I think would be pretty amazing.

#1 MarkKBike, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. #2 Posted Jan 8, 2018

You might want to check the price on the batteries that the menards light uses.

3. #3 Posted Jan 8, 2018

I'm Afraid I Can't Do That Staff Member System Administrator

Simpson-Parkway, Cheney, WA, United States
    I bought a Coast HP7R a couple years ago. I was tired of junk, so I did a little homework... most of those inexpensive units with super high lumen ratings is like shopping for stereo equipment that has high wattage ratings. It was a bit more than your budget, but it works awesome and has a built in rechargeable battery... just recharge it from any USB source. It's amazing, puts out some serious light!

https://www.ebay.com/p/Coast-19221-...ashlight-201-Lumen/691306133?iid=253333016037

WetDogGraphix likes this.
  4. #4 Posted Jan 8, 2018

Wore out three sets of tires already!

I've collected relatively high end flashlights for quite some time now, my brand of choice is Surefire... I have too many but still looking for a couple....

gasser78 likes this.
  5. #5 Posted Jan 9, 2018

I live for the CABE

My son bought me a Fenix PD35, last year. I thought he nutz to spend 50 bucks for what seemed obvious I could get on ebay Chinese made for $10. My neighbor saw mine last month and wanted one so I offered to pick up similar $10-20 at ebay. I spent hours sorting through, trying to match that danged Fenix's 900 lumens power. First thing you notice are all the china sellers with 2,000-10,000 lumen 'super bright' BS for $4-10 bucks. . Too good to be true automatically flags me so, I went to Fenix's site to discover what LED they used. 'CREE XM-L2' I also went to the CREE LED bulb site to find their best. I mean, if ya got the same sized battery and bulb then, how could you go wrong right?

Whelp, U can.. I ended up with a $15 buck light, battery and charger included. The right blub, right battery and yet, it's BS too. Oh it's bright alright, maybe throws the light as far as my Fenix, maybe. But it's got this stupid zoom feature that 'throws' a little square. Comparably the Fenix PD35, throws light too but, it's a beam, one serious bright beam >>>> way out. ----->>

Since discovered this china cheapee I got, is the same BS light they're conning peps in those TV ads for 40 BUCKS. . Plenty on ebay, just different labels and or LED bulbs.

I'm not sure why it can be so much worse than Fenix, but I think that Fenix has a coil booster that's pushing the battery's power which the stupid zoom square doesn't. Otherwise, it's all about the reflective lens design.

Regardless, there ain't no big ol'giant 3,000 Limens in small flashlights it's all BS. Yet, for the money and serious bright lite.. Now Fenix is selling: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fenix-UC30...063183&hash=item283f6b2853:g:Y5QAAOSwM6NZuBhQ

UC30 2017 Edition 1000 Lumen USB Rechargeable LED Flashlight- UC30 Upgrade with CREE XP-L HI V3 LED.

For 60 buck-a-roos, that's a serious light and nice price to boot.. I mean, Fenix is a China company too, but If they say, it's 1,000 Lumens, then, it Fk-EN ---> is!

#5 Jeff54, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  6. #6 Posted Jan 9, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Maglite LED,I have a few. Very powerful and made well.

7. #7 Posted Jan 9, 2018

Do not buy snap-on, I paid $120.00 for what I thought was a super nice flashlight - waterproof, shock resistant, focus beam etc. etc. it lasted about two months. It took Snap-on several months to replace it...1st they tried to replace it with a cheap flashlight my dealer seemed to get at a check out counter at Lowes...I was ticked and refused to accept it then threatened to call the Corporate office...He ended up replacing it with a cheaper model. I have A LOT of snap-on tools but no more...they are overpriced, their Customer Service is terrible and they always look for reasons to NOT replace a tool (unless they are making a sale) and they are no better than many tools on the market. I'll shop at Harbor Freight and Sears...they take returns without a question

8. #8 Posted Jan 9, 2018

I stopped back at harbor freight to pick up another led conversion bulb, I thought it would be neat to upgrade this old vintage d cell flashlight I have. I noticed it uses the same size bulb as the maglite.

IMG_1981.JPG

I was two late, the 6$ bulbs were all sold out. I asked them if they would be getting more, and was told probably not.

I looked on line, and found that the company that produced the bulb now has a slightly brighter bulb available for 15$. At that price I'm not sure it would be worth it as I'm sure you could find a whole new brighter flashlight for less. So I just moved the replaced maglite bulb over to this flashlight.

I'm still researching higher output flashlights to see what I might want to get. There are some good comparison videos on youtube. After watching some of them it seems like allot of the cheaper brands do exaggerate how bright there output actually is.

#8 MarkKBike, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. #9 Posted Jan 10, 2018

10. #10 Posted Jan 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM

On the high end of price is STREAMLIGHT. I bought another for Christmas as I keep losing them in cars at work. This time I bought the bright yellow composition light with the LED. Super bright but don't have the specs on it.

fleebay had them but mine was bought through amazon on the black friday deals.

11. #11 Posted Jan 15, 2018 at 5:18 AM

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

my Cygo bike lamps are the last flashlights I'll ever need

C3wAbOR.jpg