When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flightliner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

agmasterjac

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I am currently working on a Flightliner as a surprise for an old friend. The serial number is 502 46601 084139. From research I have discovered that the 502 indicates Murray as the manufacturer. I read that the 46601 is a Sears model # and also I read that it was a date code. I am trying to decide if it had a Sears decal on the tank or a JC Higgins decal on the tank. There were no indications of a Flighliner decal on the chain guard or of pinstriping on the front fork.
First time on this site looks to be a lot of enthusiasts here that may be able to help.

Model 4660 is listed in the Sears Spring/Summer 1962 catalog as a boys' 26-inch Flightliner with regular coaster brake. The illustration shows "J.C. HIGGINS" on the chain guard. This is the cheaper of two models; the illustration of the more expensive model (4666 or 4668) shows "Flightliner" on the chain guard. I'll post a photo of the catalog cut later.

Can't see the tank decoration on the catalog illustration for the 4660, but the 4666 seems to read "JC HIGGINS." I can testify that at least one 1960 Flightliner has a metallized JC Higgins sticker.

Thanks Andy ! The chain guard is a mystery. I thought there would be some indication that there had been some kind of lettering on it but there is no silhouette or remaining lettering of any kind indication that it had even been lettered before.

Bicycles sold by Sears were labeled JC Higgins through 1963. In 1964 and beyond, they were labeled SEARS. The sticker on the tank would be JC Higgins if it's a 61. Here's a picture of the chainguard script. This picture came from an Ebay ad.
s-l400 (1).jpg

Still working on this bike. Took the fenders to a chrome shop and decided that a re-chrome would be my last resort due to the price. Does anyone have any experience with the Wald middleweight fenders? They appear to be very close to the original. I am sure they are not as heavy a fender and would not be original but a resto-mod might have to be the way I go. Any comments would be helpful. Fenders rechromed would be $250.00

Still working on this bike. Took the fenders to a chrome shop and decided that a re-chrome would be my last resort due to the price. Does anyone have any experience with the Wald middleweight fenders? They appear to be very close to the original. I am sure they are not as heavy a fender and would not be original but a resto-mod might have to be the way I go. Any comments would be helpful. Fenders rechromed would be $250.00
I think I may have a set of fenders for that. I'll look in the garage over the weekend if you are interested. Probably can't get time to do it before then.

Murray built Flightliners have fenders with only one rivet per brace; most others and aftermarket fenders have two rivets per brace.

Back