When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying merkel project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That's an interesting idea and test it out. If the results look nice that be grea but I'm not sure how the enamel paint will react with gas but I like new challenges.

I thought the same thing about the use of gasoline.
But I believe the “enamel” that was used back in those times,
was applicable to the type of gasoline that was available then.

Today gas pumps do not supply gasoline like the kind that was available back then.
I have a ’46 truck with original engine.
The plugs were always turning black within weeks.
I thought I had too rich of a mixture of gasoline.
An old mechanic pointed out the fact that I was no longer using gasoline.

Last edited:
Wow the iver rocks...had some dry time today and decided to rework the rear fender to fit this frame.. . These fenders are automotive quality thickness and work very well with repairs..

Does the merkel rear fender bracket attach to the fender with rivets or screw & nut ?

The fenders on the iver are very good quality.
The fender brackets are attached to the fender with a screw & nut on this iver.
e7mels-1.jpg

They are attached with a single screw in the center like yours( pictured). I never seen any earlier fenders with rivets. Only on the braces. If you paint the fenders always go with the color of primer it was originally done with. This will give the top color the correct tone when done.

Last edited:
They are attached with a single screw in the center like yours( pictured). I never seen any earlier fenders with rivets. Only on the braces. If you paint the fenders always go with the color of primer it was originally done with. This will give the top color the correct tone when done.

Thanks.
The original primer appears to be a dark muted burgundy, but this bike being close to almost a century old,
maybe it was simply a red hue & with time has changed.
The top color of the bike frame is black.

The area around the head-badge is a dark green.
But underneath the head-badge, I saw a real bright shiny green.
99fhaw-1.jpg

Last edited:
That dark color is probably a brick red. Most I've seen in the earlier era has that type of primer. These new primers can be tinted any color you want. A bright green in the primer will bring the green brighter and vice a versa. It's the one thing that can bring the extra ingredient to get the right tone in the paint. I'd go with the green under the badge if I was re painting the bike. If touch up, the same but tinting it to match the darkness on the green outside the badge. That's the challenge with color matching on repairs but can get spectacular results. Test on other object till it matches. Don't use base clear paints it's not correct on early bikes and bikes in general. Enamel(single stage) is what you want. Spray can or air gun. Both are available. I will use air. The reason I'm waiting till spring is that my classic car is in the garage and chemicals work better in the warmer temps.

Last edited:
Looks like the weather is nice so I decided to repair the front fender. This fender has some extra hole drilled into it. If it was a more common fender I probably wouldn't go to this restoration level. But it's straight and been dipped in acid. It's got a lot of pits nothing can't fix.
I first cut out some metal to fit the hole from a same thickness junk fender. I fitted it to the fender and use some tape to secure it from underneath. Next I set the welder up to weld it but not to hot to burn through the part. I tacked to in place and removed the tape finished welding the holes on top. The. Welded it underneath for a plenty of metal to shape to get the right thickness when grounded. After grounded I filed the fenders to get them level . The final step clean the fender and recondition it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well I finished the rear fender. Since it has holes for the drop stand needed welding and my frame is smaller size I had to rework the fender to fit correctly. Now all metal work is done and ready for primer and a tiny amount of filler due to hole filling. Now I'll focus on wheels and parts nickel and find the crank and new tires. Here is a pick of it in its final fitting and adjustments for a nice look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Great work.

Looking forward for more on your project.

Have you decided on the color for the merkle ?

2j

Back