Foil for rust?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

AndyA

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 24, 2017
bergen county
Another option is bronze wool. It is softer than steel wool so it doesn't scratch the chrome. It is much more expensive than aluminum foil, but I think it knocks the rust off a bit quicker. Also, using chrome polish in lieu of water with either aluminum foil or bronze wool may leave behind some protective layer (anybody have an info on that?)

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Apr 3, 2017
Warsaw, USA
Foil with Mothers Chrome polish is all I use. Although I will say, you have to be careful on cheap chrome. It will scratch so try it on an inconspicuous location. Old Schwinn chrome...the combo works fantastic.

Reactions: Sven and piercer_99

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
foil is one method although not very efficient.The video shows a really light coat of rust. There are much easier and better ways of removing rust,Especially that really light stuff

Reactions: Sven and 1motime

piercer_99

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
foil is one method although not very efficient.The video shows a really light coat of rust. There are much easier and better ways of removing rust,Especially that really light stuff

When the rust gets heavier, I break out the bar keepers friend and foil.

I used a lot of it on this to get it looking like it did in the preceding photo.

The paint was a completely different story.

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 24, 2017
Mechanicsville, MD, United States
Not bike related, but...
At first I was skeptical that it would work.
But with wads of foil, soap and water knocked the rust off this truck wheel. I will agree with @1motime , great for non detailed surfaces.
20200420_193627.jpg

Duxrule

On Training Wheels
May 17, 2020
Castle Rock WA
Can you share what some of those might be?

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

dtaylor613

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jul 6, 2020
Raleigh NC
I personally found best results using aluminum foil balls for getting bulk rust off, and then following up with 000/0000 steel wool. I used a chrome polish while doing both. It definitely helps and gives things a little more lubrication/slide

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
The acid in Coca Cola works well too. Has any one used OA with foil?

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
The acid in Coca Cola works well too. Has any one used OA with foil?
If you read the can of Coke it contains Phosphoric Acid. So why mess with a sticky sugar camel colored soft drink to clean chrome? I've used Chrome Polish from Turtle Wax and foil together an it works okay.

Reactions: Sandman

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
The acid in the Coke itself will clean up the rust. Used to turn rusty milk cans upside down and pour Coke into the rim. Let it set for a few days and the tops would come right off. It just adds another ingredient and quickens the process. I once tried it on some boat trailer fenders. I never experienced a sticky mess. I just mentioned it as alternative. I don't use it, it's too expensive and I'd rather drink it. But....

• Haha
Reactions: Balloonoob

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
Inactive
I tried the foil method and did not like it as much as bronze wool and WD40 for mechanical removal of rust. For chemical removal, I like Evaporust (first choice) or Oxalic Acid (also works, but a little trickier to use). Be careful about using aluminum foil with any polish or chemical that has ammonia in it.

gtown

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 16, 2020
Stafford
I tried the foil method and did not like it as much as bronze wool and WD40 for mechanical removal of rust. For chemical removal, I like Evaporust (first choice) or Oxalic Acid (also works, but a little trickier to use). Be careful about using aluminum foil with any polish or chemical that has ammonia in it.
I appreciate the technical expertise.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!