When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foil for rust?

-
Another option is bronze wool. It is softer than steel wool so it doesn't scratch the chrome. It is much more expensive than aluminum foil, but I think it knocks the rust off a bit quicker. Also, using chrome polish in lieu of water with either aluminum foil or bronze wool may leave behind some protective layer (anybody have an info on that?)

I have had great results with foil.

All the original chrome on this bike was brought back with foil.

The handle bar and seat post are new

Foil with Mothers Chrome polish is all I use. Although I will say, you have to be careful on cheap chrome. It will scratch so try it on an inconspicuous location. Old Schwinn chrome...the combo works fantastic.

foil is one method although not very efficient.The video shows a really light coat of rust. There are much easier and better ways of removing rust,Especially that really light stuff

foil is one method although not very efficient.The video shows a really light coat of rust. There are much easier and better ways of removing rust,Especially that really light stuff

When the rust gets heavier, I break out the bar keepers friend and foil.

I used a lot of it on this to get it looking like it did in the preceding photo.

The paint was a completely different story.

Can you share what some of those might be?

Back