When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foil for rust?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I personally found best results using aluminum foil balls for getting bulk rust off, and then following up with 000/0000 steel wool. I used a chrome polish while doing both. It definitely helps and gives things a little more lubrication/slide

The acid in Coca Cola works well too. Has any one used OA with foil?

If you read the can of Coke it contains Phosphoric Acid. So why mess with a sticky sugar camel colored soft drink to clean chrome? I've used Chrome Polish from Turtle Wax and foil together an it works okay.

The acid in the Coke itself will clean up the rust. Used to turn rusty milk cans upside down and pour Coke into the rim. Let it set for a few days and the tops would come right off. It just adds another ingredient and quickens the process. I once tried it on some boat trailer fenders. I never experienced a sticky mess. I just mentioned it as alternative. I don't use it, it's too expensive and I'd rather drink it. But....

I tried the foil method and did not like it as much as bronze wool and WD40 for mechanical removal of rust. For chemical removal, I like Evaporust (first choice) or Oxalic Acid (also works, but a little trickier to use). Be careful about using aluminum foil with any polish or chemical that has ammonia in it.

I tried the foil method and did not like it as much as bronze wool and WD40 for mechanical removal of rust. For chemical removal, I like Evaporust (first choice) or Oxalic Acid (also works, but a little trickier to use). Be careful about using aluminum foil with any polish or chemical that has ammonia in it.
I appreciate the technical expertise.

Back