When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Folding Free Spirit west Germany questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BradCon

Look Ma, No Hands!
I saw an interesting looking bike today. It was a Sears and Roebuck Free Spirit folding bicycle. Looks like this one
“Thread '1970's Free Spirit folding bike update'
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1970s-free-spirit-folding-bike-update.11425/
Curious about collectibility and potential value. Badges West Germany and the hub was fairly large with multiple indented rings around it, but no colored strips.
Information on the web is extremely limited, so is it that rare or that bad?
Anybody have any information?

I don't have any real information, but I have a German made folding bicycle here with 26 inch tires. It originally had a Sachs 2 speed kickback hub but has been changed to a Bendix red band single speed. Has a generator and lights. It has been sitting in the for sale row for 6 years and no one has ever looked twice at it.

I don't have any real information, but I have a German made folding bicycle here with 26 inch tires. It originally had a Sachs 2 speed kickback hub but has been changed to a Bendix red band single speed. Has a generator and lights. It has been sitting in the for sale row for 6 years and no one has ever looked twice at it.
Oh man. That’s not encouraging. This was at a flea market and asking way too much, but I thought it could be fun at the right price.

Oh man. That’s not encouraging. This was at a flea market and asking way too much, but I thought it could be fun at the right price.
I think if the right person comes along, mine will sell. Someone with a small vehicle or a camper who will appreciate the folding feature. I had someone from Germany tell me that people in small villages there ride these to the train station, load them on the train and travel to the cities to shop.

I think if the right person comes along, mine will sell. Someone with a small vehicle or a camper who will appreciate the folding feature. I had someone from Germany tell me that people in small villages there ride these to the train station, load them on the train and travel to the cities to shop.
Yeah, seems to be a very small following of folding bikes. ‍♂️

This happens all over Europe.
In England now, many train stations now have 'Brompton Hubs' where you can hire the ubiquitous folding bicycles of the same name also.
London is full every rush hour with these folding bike riding commuters.
Vintage folding bikes are also very popular with the vintage VW Bus crowd over here too.

Back