When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follis 172 (1970's)

-

Amanda Reckonwith

Look Ma, No Hands!
DSCF6621.JPG
DSCF6623.JPG
DSCF6624.JPG
DSCF6627.JPG
DSCF6628.JPG
DSCF6630.JPG
DSCF6625.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful! Nice mix of high quality parts. How do you like the Simplex shifters? What brand pedals? Is that an adapter I see to allow use of shimano rd on Simplex DO?
Could not find 102 but only these …

Last edited:
Beautiful! Nice mix of high quality parts. How do you like the Simplex shifters? What brand pedals? Is that an adapter I see to allow use of shimano rd on Simplex DO?
Could not find 102 but only these …View attachment 1489309
View attachment 1489310

...you are correct, of course. It's one of the three main tubes Reynolds (or whatever they were using at this point) 172 models. That style of Shimano rear derailleur is one of the few that you can use on a Simplex rear dropout without modification of the derailleur, or the dropout for a stop. They came in short and long cages, and in quality levels of Crane at the top, on down through Titlist, and whatever was below that. The mechanical design is the same for all of them, but they vary in materials, weight, and finish.

All of them seem to work equally well, of the ones I've used like this.

If you can find them, Simplex retrofriction shifters are the bomb. They pop up from time to time, but often they are a little pricey on the Bay.

Back