When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 1940's All American Wards Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Aaron Dempsey

'Lil Knee Scuffer
IMG2383.jpg
IMG2381.jpg
IMG2374.jpg

Last edited:
Your bike is a relatively rare Montgomery Ward’s Hawthorne “All American.” They were produced between 1940 and early 1942 and they were actually manufactured for MW by two different bicycle manufacturers; Cleveland Welding and H.P. Snyder.

From what I can see in the photos yours is likely a Cleveland Welding built version but the form of the upper rear fender bridge is not visible which is the easiest way to be certain who made the frame. If you post a picture of the bridge or post the serial number (each manufacturer used their own pattern serial numbers) it will be easy to tell who made this bike.

You have many of the difficult parts needed to restore the bike to original condition but there are also numerous items that are missing or have been swapped out over time.

Thanks for posting the additional photos. The serial number is a Cleveland Welding (CWC) number. The upper photos still do not show if the upper fender bridge (the tube between the two seat stays that the fender attaches to) is straight or curved. Since the number is a CWC number the bridge should be a straight piece of tubing instead of an arched curve.

The serial number falls near the calendar break between 1940 and 1941 and being at the very end of the "H" numbers likely indicates an early 1941 build date. While the catalogs show CWC Shockmaster style springers being used in 1940 and Snyder style springers in 1941, that alone does not indicate the year of the bike. CWC continued to produce “All Americans“ into early 1942 and those bikes still were fitted with the CWC in-house Shockmaster forks while the later Snyder built versions switched to the Snyder style springer fork.

Thanks for the clairification Phil. I will post my all american serial # to see what year I have. It has the ND shifter inside the tank.

Back