When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold For Sale 1980 Schwinn Beach Cruiser 20" size Blue

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Price
$395.00
Zipcode
Schwinn offers a 20" coaster brake cruiser in the 1982 catalog but maybe made along with the others for several years.
It's odd your bike has a fork drilled for hand brake but no hand brake present.

Is this bicycle still available?

The 20" Schwinn Cruiser was not offered in 1980. I have a collection of these bicycles and they were offered in 1981 and 1982 only.
Nobody on this site is an expert we are all bicycle historians, knowing Schwinn's demise during 1980 - 1982 "The End".
Frames were built prior to factory strike, most all the frames started with the serial number MR.
The reason for the numbers on the head badge is when Schwinn would have assembled the bicycle to be sold, this being 1981 0r 1982.
Your bicycle has a hand brake fork, I have never seen this on these bicycles.
Here is a Specification sheet from 1981 showing this bicycle.

80's schwinn.jpg

Is this bicycle still available?

The 20" Schwinn Cruiser was not offered in 1980. I have a collection of these bicycles and they were offered in 1981 and 1982 only.
Nobody on this site is an expert we are all bicycle historians, knowing Schwinn's demise during 1980 - 1982 "The End".
Frames were built prior to factory strike, most all the frames started with the serial number MR.
The reason for the numbers on the head badge is when Schwinn would have assembled the bicycle to be sold, this being 1981 0r 1982.
Your bicycle has a hand brake fork, I have never seen this on these bicycles.
Here is a Specification sheet from 1981 showing this bicycle.

View attachment 1742601
Yes fork looks wrong, looks like a standard MW fork not a balloon fork

Ok? You Must be a Expert?? Well Maybe look at the Frame Number, I looked it up on; https://bikehistory.org/schwinn.php?serial=mr57898
they have the best site for looking up bike years, and WOW, look what they said;
Congrats! Your bike is an original Chicago Schwinn.
Serial number stamped on: DECEMBER of 1980. Go to 1980 Schwinn catalog -->
Maybe someone changed the head badge, much easier than changing the frame number?
He literally is an expert on Schwinn bikes.....
Serial number tells you the date the serial number was stamped...not a build date.
Headbadges of that era do have a tiny 4 digit number stamped, you have to look very closely as it is tiny, and THAT is the build date.
First three digits tell you how many days into the year, 4th digit is the last digit of the year. Example 2341 would be the 234th day of 1981.

WOW, you guys are NUTS??? You want me to listen that a Badge on front of a 42 year old bike will tell me the year of a bike BETTER than the original serial number on the frame?? I got no time for people like you guys. A badge could be put on any bike at anytime in it's life, but serial number is there for good! and the Letters MR are for a bike frame made in Dec. 1980!
Looks like the nuts are right again !! Look listen learn 👨🏼‍🏫📕📗📘📙📖🎓

@koolbikes
Check this one out looks like a '80 you should be able to make out the badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back