When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold for sale recently restored 1912 Wonder bike - By Time Machines, Ltd. Frame No. 154866

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
This bicycle, as I received it was an earlier amature restoration that required a complete "do over" which, to me, means a careful, detailed restoration to the same standard I set for my work 35 years ago. The bike is a 1912 Wonder model. I'm not certain of the actual manufacturer however the head badge inclues the the name Shapleigh Hardware Company whom I've been told was actually the distribtor for these machines that were often used for road racing by professional and non-professionals alike and were of a quality that could easily be modified for the Velodrome racing so popular in the teens and early twenties. Since the bike had been repainted numerous time it was impoosible to determine the actual original frame color. I was able to find an early black and white photo of the same model and from that dermined the graphic scheme with elongated darts that encompassed the head set and part of the frames tubing. I restored the saddle but I'm not 100% certain it is the original however it does appear it might be based on the photo. The Maple rims were made by Noah Stutzman at Stutzman's Wheel Shop in Baltic, Ohio. They include fitted aluminum internal inserts (hidden from view) to accept the modern 700 x 35 inflatable tires by Electra, the spokes are stainless steel double butted fitted to nickel plated 1" nipples, the tires are creme colored and have no contrasting colored stripes or logo's. The hand grips are the originals which have been re-finished and re-wrapped with new leather; the tool pouch, which I've conserved, was on the bike when I purchased it. The 2 added accessories include a polished brass "Neverout" oil headlamp, a polished brass restored frame mounted tire pump both of which are period correct. The display stand is included in the sale.

Note that the original coaster brake rear hub is one of the very early New Depature-model A assembiles that were notorious for being somewhat lacking in their capability to bring the rider to a quick stop; this unit has proved to be no exception. It has been disassembled and inspected and shows significant wear evident on the mating cone bits that comprise the braking component. It has been properly greased and reassembled and fitted into the polished hub. I would advice whom ever eventually ends up with the bike with the intention of riding her to think about replacing the Model A hub with the much improved New Departure model D version which are readily available. The pictures that follow show the handle bars in both the racing position and the far more comfortable touring position.

My asking price for the bike is $4,000.00 USD with resonable offers considered. It can be picked up in Sebastian, Florida (32958) or shipped anywhere in the world via Bikeflights.com. I do charge $125.00 for my partial disassembly and packaging for bicyles that require shipping. My experience has shown that Bikeflights.com's charges are, by a wide margin, the lowest available. In addition the company is a pleasure to work; both knowledgeable, courteous, and dependable. For questions, additional information, or to discuss a purchase please email me at: [email protected] or call me between 10AM and 8PM Eatern Daylight Savings Time at 518-339-7867

To see some example of my restoration work please visit my website: timemachineslimited.com Click on any photo to bring up multiple pictures of that model.

My intention prior to the Corona Virus abruptly changing everything for everybody was to consign the bike to the Copake Antique Bicycle Auction this month which has now been converted to an on-line auction. However with the understanding that the auction site does not allow placing reserves nor do they allow consignee starting bids, I've decided to remain with my previous means of offering my restored bicycles for sale through The Cabe, The Wheelemen, and a variety popular collector web sites.

Dick Rath

DSCN3601.JPG

DSCN3668.JPG

DSCN3653.JPG

What I learned about Shapleigh is they bought out closed down shops and had there crew assemble the bikes from the frames and parts they accumilated, Nice work , Mr Rath

I’ve seen teens catalogs that showed that Shapleigh St. Louis was supplied by Davis, in those times, until Davis closed; then perhaps from Schwinn (interim) and then Westfield. The Davis number #6 sprocket (with a 6-point star of Davis) is consistent with such understanding.

The site has rules for selling items and the how and where (which forum) to do so.

Last edited:
What I learned about Shapleigh is they bought out closed down shops and had there crew assemble the bikes from the frames and parts they accumilated, Nice work , Mr Rath
That is very interesting. Considering that by 1912, the year this particular bicycle was produced, the bicycle "boom" at, and just prior to, the turn of the century was pretty much over, it would make sense that Shapleigh Hardware might be able create a lucrative business doing as you suggest. My experience has been that earlier safety bicycle manufacturers were increasingly turning to specialty producers of many components that, but for some detailing, were interchangeable to at least some degree between brands. This trend would have given Shapleigh's venture a reasonable chance at success at least until the components ( frames and forks ) from the shuttered shops ran out. Thanks for sharing this, bikebozo.

This bicycle, as I received it was an earlier amature restoration that required a complete "do over" which, to me, means a careful, detailed restoration to the same standard I set for my work 35 years ago. The bike is a 1912 Wonder model. I'm not certain of the actual manufacturer however the head badge inclues the the name Shapleigh Hardware Company whom I've been told was actually the distribtor for these machines that were often used for road racing by professional and non-professionals alike and were of a quality that could easily be modified for the Velodrome racing so popular in the teens and early twenties. Since the bike had been repainted numerous time it was impoosible to determine the actual original frame color. I was able to find an early black and white photo of the same model and from that dermined the graphic scheme with elongated darts that encompassed the head set and part of the frames tubing. I restored the saddle but I'm not 100% certain it is the original however it does appear it might be based on the photo. The Maple rims were made by Noah Stutzman at Stutzman's Wheel Shop in Baltic, Ohio. They include fitted aluminum internal inserts (hidden from view) to accept the modern 700 x 35 inflatable tires by Electra, the spokes are stainless steel double butted fitted to nickel plated 1" nipples, the tires are creme colored and have no contrasting colored stripes or logo's. The hand grips are the originals which have been re-finished and re-wrapped with new leather; the tool pouch, which I've conserved, was on the bike when I purchased it. The 2 added accessories include a polished brass "Neverout" oil headlamp, a polished brass restored frame mounted tire pump both of which are period correct. The display stand is included in the sale.

Note that the original coaster brake rear hub is one of the very early New Depature-model A assembiles that were notorious for being somewhat lacking in their capability to bring the rider to a quick stop; this unit has proved to be no exception. It has been disassembled and inspected and shows significant wear evident on the mating cone bits that comprise the braking component. It has been properly greased and reassembled and fitted into the polished hub. I would advice whom ever eventually ends up with the bike with the intention of riding her to think about replacing the Model A hub with the much improved New Departure model D version which are readily available. The pictures that follow show the handle bars in both the racing position and the far more comfortable touring position.

My asking price for the bike is $4,000.00 USD with resonable offers considered. It can be picked up in Sebastian, Florida (32958) or shipped anywhere in the world via Bikeflights.com. I do charge $125.00 for my partial disassembly and packaging for bicyles that require shipping. My experience has shown that Bikeflights.com's charges are, by a wide margin, the lowest available. In addition the company is a pleasure to work; both knowledgeable, courteous, and dependable. For questions, additional information, or to discuss a purchase please email me at: [email protected] or call me between 10AM and 8PM Eatern Daylight Savings Time at 518-339-7867

To see some example of my restoration work please visit my website: timemachineslimited.com Click on any photo to bring up multiple pictures of that model.

My intention prior to the Corona Virus abruptly changing everything for everybody was to consign the bike to the Copake Antique Bicycle Auction this month which has now been converted to an on-line auction. However with the understanding that the auction site does not allow placing reserves nor do they allow consignee starting bids, I've decided to remain with my previous means of offering my restored bicycles for sale through The Cabe, The Wheelemen, and a variety popular collector web sites.

Dick RathView attachment 1167312

View attachment 1167313View attachment 1167312

View attachment 1167313

View attachment 1167314

View attachment 1167315

View attachment 1167317

View attachment 1167327

View attachment 1167328

View attachment 1167329

View attachment 1167329

View attachment 1167330

View attachment 1167331View attachment 1167341

View attachment 1167342

View attachment 1167345

View attachment 1167346

View attachment 1167347
View attachment 1167350

View attachment 1167332

View attachment 1167333

View attachment 1167344
What is the purpose of the knurled piece on the rear axle? Beautiful bike!

Here is a blurb about Shapleigh Hardware from the LuxLow Bicycle web site. They had the same bicycle available for sale awhile ago and I used to look at it a lot but never pulled the trigger. Their bike is in original condition, your bike is too nice! I could not grab one of the many pictures from their web page for some reason. Here is the web link: https://luxlow.com/bicycles/llwoodwheel/antique-1912-shapleigh-hardware-wonder-wood-wheel-bicycle/
Here is the blurb:
"This Vintage 1912 Wonder was the in house bike brand offered from the Shapleigh Hardware Store. Augustus F. Shapleigh had a history in the hardware industry and in the mid 1800s moved to St. Louis Missouri Considered The Gateway to the West. In St. Louis A. F. Shapleigh developed a highly successful nationwide hardware chain called A. F. Shapleigh Hardware. A. F. Shapleigh hardware stores had a long run out lasting many competitors, staying in business up until 1960s. It is known that Shapleigh had some of there bikes made by Pope / Columbia and this one is Pope manufactured. The Wonder Badge says 1912 which leads me to a correct year since the bike has no fender drilling that is a trait that comes on bikes after 1914. This Shapleigh Wonder was restored as found and is a nice example of a basic teens bike."

Last edited:
Dick, Hey there Seth Fallon here, our intention is our bicycle sale to be live in our gallery with normal crowd and swap meet as well as online, our next estate auction (end of april or may possibly will be online only, but the bike sale will be our normal event, that being said if it looks like June won't be good we still may have to push it out, but when we do have it will be normal annual sale with swap meet and live crowd in gallery! Will keep everyone posted. Didn't mean to butt into thread but wanted to clarify! Hope you are doing well and staying safe, bicycle above is another great machine done by you!

Here is a blurb about Shapleigh Hardware from the LuxLow Bicycle web site. They had the same bicycle available for sale awhile ago and I used to look at it a lot but never pulled the trigger. Their bike is in original condition, your bike is too nice! I could not grab one of the many pictures from their web page for some reason. Here is the web link: https://luxlow.com/bicycles/llwoodwheel/antique-1912-shapleigh-hardware-wonder-wood-wheel-bicycle/
Here is the blurb:
"This Vintage 1912 Wonder was the in house bike brand offered from the Shapleigh Hardware Store. Augustus F. Shapleigh had a history in the hardware industry and in the mid 1800s moved to St. Louis Missouri Considered The Gateway to the West. In St. Louis A. F. Shapleigh developed a highly successful nationwide hardware chain called A. F. Shapleigh Hardware. A. F. Shapleigh hardware stores had a long run out lasting many competitors, staying in business up until 1960s. It is known that Shapleigh had some of there bikes made by Pope / Columbia and this one is Pope manufactured. The Wonder Badge says 1912 which leads me to a correct year since the bike has no fender drilling that is a trait that comes on bikes after 1914. This Shapleigh Wonder was restored as found and is a nice example of a basic teens bike."

Back