When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the 'book smart' or literate among you, here is 1941 Schwinn that is....well.........Red.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Bob, nice work! Beautiful bike. I am liking restored bikes more all the time. Great color combination!

Props to all of you who make the effort to transform otherwise housepainted, rusted,
all but forgotten parts into 'like new' time traveler show room examples. Avoid keeping
track of the time and effort it takes to accomplish the goals...or .....well... !
While nothing compares to nice original survivors.... I love studying the craftsmanship
and efforts I see at shows like Anne Arbor in the 'restored' pen. true eye candy

Supercalafragilisticexpialadocious!

I think you meant to say...
SupercalafragilisticexpialadociousFAKE!

July 1, 2020 You posted...

"Yeah, my feeling with most of the really desirable bikes, is that if it’s be redone/repainted/restored, then, it’s a fake bike."

With all due respect to Bob's post and he and I have talked about your post.
I'm really struggling with why you felt the need to throw this segment of the bike community under the bus.

Hey, it’s only original once.

If it’s been redone, it might look better to some people, but it’s no longer original.

Three mid 30’s Schwinn Aerocycles.
Two are real, one is a fake.
Which one do you think is the fake bike?
The one that’s been redone of course.

If it’s original, it’s unquestionable.
If it’s been redone, then where did all the parts come from?
That isn’t to say, that they aren’t all fabulous bikes, it just begs the question as to what parts were fabricated to complete such a rare bike?

that''s pretty much where I draw the distinction.... restored with original parts, which is what I try my best to do, and
disclosing what is reproduction or "fake". The problem with restored bikes is the sometimes shady lack of disclosure that occurs
and especially over time and the changing of hands of bikes.
I think I would always choose a nice unrestored bike over a restored bike... but then...a restored bike over a beat, rusted or
painted over to obllivion 'barely survivor' bike.
There are indeed 'fake' restored bikes out there, where the most valueable or an extremely 'signature' part/component etc is repop.
As long as the history of those bikes is honestly preserved, then future buyers are in good shape making a buying decision.
Sadly and my biggest beef with reproduction parts etc. is the whole "I dunno" factor or the classic shrug, as time marches on, memories get
foggy and stories morph from factual to who knows what's what buyer beware.
It may look tedious and overblown when I advertise a restored bike with a litany of details, but in the end
hopefully piece of mind and most questions answered...
There are beautiful looking restored bikes out there that are indeed fakes, just as there are totally correct
original parts restored bikes that are..... if done to expected levels, beautiful restored bikes.

I love restored bikes, but when people ask if I own any, the answer is no. Basically because I'm pretty damn clumsy and hard on things....
and would hate to scratch or damage something that needs to be pampered. I guess maybe if I had a big enough living space
where a bike could be displayed like art or something hung on a wall or from a beamed ceiling? as I've seen tastefully done in some homes, I'd probably own one.

Back to the topic...I would not label authentic / orig parts quality executed restorations as fakes....but the fakes do exist thanks to the repro market...The ol'
Schwinn Phantom would probably rank in the Top Spot for highest % of 'faked' bikes.

Back