When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fore brake differences

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mike

Look Ma, No Hands!
What are the differences in a prewar and postwar Schwinn pork chop fore brake?

I've been working on an article for the Schwinn brakes and it appears to me all the post war brakes are all large flange (high/high) hubs. The pre war high/high generally have Pat'd Pending ('41) on them. I have heard some people say there is a pre war high/high with no PP but I have never seen a difference. My thought on this is that the non PP hub was introduced before the war as well just like the non-script brake levers which were used post war as well. As far as I know all the high/lo hubs are pre war. V/r Shawn

Edit--I guess Eric was posting at the same time. So evidently clevis is the 'tell'.

Hi Lo's seemed to be on the lower priced models,dx,ladies and men's. Have seen them 1940,41...latest I've seen any drum was on a early defense model,1942,Henderson badge b107. Painted truss rods,fender braces,no light,rack,tank,had a high flange drum,that actually stopped,though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've been working on an article for the Schwinn brakes and it appears to me all the post war brakes are all large flange (high/high) hubs. The pre war high/high generally have Pat'd Pending ('41) on them. I have heard some people say there is a pre war high/high with no PP but I have never seen a difference. My thought on this is that the non PP hub was introduced before the war as well just like the non-script brake levers which were used post war as well. As far as I know all the high/lo hubs are pre war. V/r Shawn

Edit--I guess Eric was posting at the same time. So evidently clevis is the 'tell'.

The hi/lo style introduced in 40 was still around postwar, it’s in the 48 catalog for sure. I have never seen a non PP hub on an original 41 bike but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Happy to proof your article, lots more variations than many realize.

The hi/lo style introduced in 40 was still around postwar, it’s in the 48 catalog for sure. I have never seen a non PP hub on an original 41 bike but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Happy to proof your article, lots more variations than many realize.
I'll certainly take you up on that! I learn something new every time I touch this topic. V/r Shawn

39 and earlier two piece hubs. 40 and 41 pat pend stamped smaller one piece hubs. seen different patent pending wording/abbrev. 39 earlier porkchop/backplate has arnold schwinn stamp in center area, 40 up has it on the leg going up.

Back