When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fore brake exploded view

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mark Johnston

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone have an exploded view or link to the manual/partslist for the post war drum fore brake?
Thanks

Try this....

69RepairFHub421.jpg

No. The brake side cone was meant to be tightly threaded down on the end of the threads to lock it in place.
I’m confused, the bearing cone on mine is under the backing plate, followed by spacer washers, then the backing plate with centering washer? I assume the extra lock nut is unneeded and the centering washer goes against the fork leg?
C3265437-74A7-44B5-B619-425E68D2CD70.jpeg

BEC1D9AD-2509-4610-8135-E052770EC5CF.jpeg

I’m confused, the bearing cone on mine is under the backing plate, followed by spacer washers, then the backing plate with centering washer? I assume the extra lock nut is unneeded and the centering washer goes against the fork leg?
View attachment 960794

View attachment 960793

Sorry, edited above to be more clear. Yes you are correct in your assembly and assumption that you have an extra locknut. The centering "hat" washer goes on the outside as you have it. You likely just need one internal washer, and probably can get away with one that is thinner than what you are using. You want the entire brake shoe inside the drum making contact but without the chop rubbing on the spokes.

Remember the step of squeezing the lever or activating the brake arm when tightening the axle nuts to make sure the chop is centered inside the drum. Failure to do that is the cause of most rubbing issues people experience.

Thanks again! Centering the shoes is done the same way on early HD mechanical drums, and it’s the one step most folks forget to do.

Back