When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forged Schwinn Forks - How much rake?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That is a good question and I don't have the answer. You are some other forum member might have to measure it to know for sure. Here is a link to BikeCAD on how to measure fork rake.

If you don't already know about BikeCAD they allow you to input the design parameters of your bike or to design your own bike.

Last edited:
I guess this isn't common knowledge?

I don't have the ability to measure it accurately without leaning on a machinist friend. I clamped it down to a tablesaw with the bulge from the steerer tube hanging over the edge, and then added and subtracted to get to the middle of the fork blades at the top (same as center of steerer tube), and the center of the axle. It is looking like it may have been 1-1/2", although on mine one side is more than that and the other side is less.

Thanks for the heads up on BikeCad. I had not seen that.

I guess most of us really don't care as long as it steers and rides fine. I'm just curious why you would need to know? V/r Shawn

I just figured since Schwinn made forks like that for several decades that it would be one of those things people around here would just know. I guess not.

I don't know if it rides OK. I've been taking little bends and twists out of the fork this morning and it looks pretty good now, but the rake still differs between sides. I guess I'll just pick a side....

I guess this isn't common knowledge?

I don't have the ability to measure it accurately without leaning on a machinist friend. I clamped it down to a tablesaw with the bulge from the steerer tube hanging over the edge, and then added and subtracted to get to the middle of the fork blades at the top (same as center of steerer tube), and the center of the axle. It is looking like it may have been 1-1/2", although on mine one side is more than that and the other side is less.

Thanks for the heads up on BikeCad. I had not seen that.

Is that on a 26" bike? I think at 1-1/2" your fork is bent. :tonguewink: I came up with 2" + or - a red hair on one of mine and I know the fork is not bent.

Oh I know it's bent, or it was. The side's didn't match! Ive spent hours on it today. I'll have to remeasure. Ive got all the waves out and both sides the same now. Still have doubts it is really straight.

Was that a middleweight with a forged fork?

Oh I know it's bent, or it was. The side's didn't match! Ive spent hours on it today. I'll have to remeasure. Ive got all the waves out and both sides the same now. Still have doubts it is really straight.

Was that a middleweight with a forged fork?

Back