When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fork Chrome Cap on Ballooners?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The 1959 models were the first to show up with the chrome fork crown, but the Wasp wasn't included. It did at a later year show up with one, maybe 1962. I can't say if the fork used then was same as the middleweight fork or not, or if they used a wider crown.

The Wasp apparently used the chrome cap prior to 1962. Here’s a Wasp with original paint and the chrome fork. Bike was owned by @cds2323 and then @ricobike. Last saw the bike at Memory Lane in the spring of 2022, @ricobike had it for sale. The bike had a November 1959 serial number.

I don’t see how the cap for the balloon and middleweight forks could be interchangeable as the forks are different widths. The Wasp in the picture did not have a middleweight fork but the larger balloon tire one.

The Wasp apparently used the chrome cap prior to 1962. Here’s a Wasp with original paint and the chrome fork. Bike was owned by @cds2323 and then @ricobike. Last saw the bike at Memory Lane in the spring of 2022, @ricobike had it for sale. The bike had a November 1959 serial number. View attachment 1730717

I don’t see how the cap for the balloon and middleweight forks could be interchangeable as the forks are different widths. The Wasp in the picture did not have a middleweight fork but the larger balloon tire one.

I remember that Wasp. Same fender trim detail as the 59 Debutante with the S reflector and a few other non standard pieces.

Back