When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fork Mount Cantilever Brakes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Andy Q

On Training Wheels
Bought a '55 American with this brake assembly on the fork. I've never seen this and can't seem to find much info. Any market for this sort of thing? Should I keep it with the bike?

42b79184fe139fd984b9092c0dddf823.jpg

55 american came standard with those brakes and a 2 speed manual rear hub,i think 55 and 56,brakes were available as an option starting in 49 or 50,there are different cable lenghts and fork mounts for the different model bikes,round leg[phantom] are the least seen,your set in good cond. usually sell for $150.00 and up depending on condition,hard to find with all the pieces

55 american came standard with those brakes and a 2 speed manual rear hub,i think 55 and 56,brakes were available as an option starting in 49 or 50,there are different cable lenghts and fork mounts for the different model bikes,round leg[phantom] are the least seen,your set in good cond. usually sell for $150.00 and up depending on condition,hard to find with all the pieces

Thanks! Everything is in tact and functional. Thoughts on keeping them with the bike?
0d7cb73afdf8b2671f64eed22f69a803.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here theyare on my phantom,keepin them with the bike? its up 2 you hat u do with em,this set on my phantom is nos,notice the different fork mounts for the round leg,there is a little set screw for the springer type leg mount to keep it in position,the brakes are unique to these brakes,harder rubber to stop heavy bikes,schwinn is in raised letters on the pads

Last edited:
Bought a '55 American with this brake assembly on the fork. I've never seen this and can't seem to find much info. Any market for this sort of thing? Should I keep it with the bike?

That's odd having the attachment brake on your bike b/c, your frame has rear fender bracket for canti's and the fork should have a hole in the top to mount canti too.

Schwinn store rebuild? Potentially, owner bent fork but LBS didn't have a proper fork so, put the attachment brake set .Or, your fork does have a hole but factory ran out of canti's, or store robbed it and replaced with Accry. ? .

Last edited:
look up the 55 and 56 catalog and look at the americans and your confusion will be cleared up,i have 3 of these that are og,there is also info about the brakes as an option,chuck sold one not long ago that still had the original brakes and the 2 speed manual rear hub,dont care about the bridge or the fork set up,if you bought a tiger 3 speed you would get the caliper brake setup

Back