When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fork spreader?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
B

Boardtrackfan

I'm kinda new to the pre-1933 bikes so, I have a question about mounting the front wheel. Most of the early bikes I have just have a hole in the bottom of the fork blade, not a open ended slot. Some of the early hubs I have are not threaded all the way across making it seem impossible to mount the wheel. I do have a catalog from the early 1900s that shows a "fork spreader". Is this what I am supposed to do to mount these wheels? I don't want to cut any of my early forks and I'm not to thrilled about spreading/bending them either. Am I just putting the wrong type of wheel on? Help!

The fork spreader.
0263-1.jpg

eat your wheaties

and grab both and pull apart:D
not easy but works

Best method I have found is to lay the bike down flat on the ground or a blanket. Insert the lower protruding axel of the wheel wheel into the fork leg nearest the ground. Push down on the wheel and hold it steady and pull up on the upper fork leg until you can work that over the top axel. Dont worry about bending the fork as they are quite springy.

Back