When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fork threading

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Definitely secure it in the vice. And when i say you need some oomph im not kidding. I used a pipe wrench. Although it cut threads surprisingly well, the uncut bearing adjuster was awfully tight on the new threads. Next time i hafta do this i will try oil instead of WD 40 as per suggestion.

WHY NOT MAKE A COUPLE OF THE RACE FITTINGS FOR SALE AS YOU HAVE SHOWN.
DO YOU HAVE TWO FLAT SURFACES ON THE KNURLS GET A WRENCH ON IT!

I like it. Good idea! I actually bought a Chinese die and holder to thread forks. Not disappointed but not really tickled either. It doesn't produce the nice smooth tight tolerances like the factory threads. They are just slightly loose, like deeper and wider, it even takes off some material on the factory threads. Has not caused a problem, it got the job done, but it's definitely not a persision made item. You get what you pay for.

Can we see a photo of the inside of the fork bearing adjuster with the cross cuts?

I bought the correct 1” x 24 die thinking it would be easy. Not too much $. But big $$$ for the handle for the die. The local TREK shop does it cheap and I don’t have to worry about it. Just shortened and added threads to a girl’s Elgin to replace a funky aftermarket fork on my ‘35 Elgin Oriole.

Good idea! Similarly, I have used nuts as quickie, cleanup dies by cutting slots in the threads with a needle file.

Back