When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a '60 Corvette 2-speed; can someone point me to hub adjustment directions?

-

parkrndl

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked up this nice '60 Corvette, looks like it will go great with the '59 3-speed I found last year.

The 2-speed hub seems to be out of adjustment. If I pedal it on the stand, the wheel runs in low gear with the lever AWAY from the bars. When I click the lever TOWARDS the bars and pedal, it doesn't engage 1:1 but spins like it's in neutral. If I pull the cable a little tighter at the bellcrank, then 1:1 engages. I figure I could just try tightening the cable barrel till it catches, but I have read that the initial adjustment on these can be very finicky and they work fine if you just follow the adjustment directions. I was hoping to find those directions online, but the site I used to go to for this stuff (something that had trfindley in the address?) seems to have changed. Anyone have a good link?

thanks!

Last edited:
I found this on here when I was getting my Corvette going; I ended up replacing a part or two (MS-2 and MS-36 on the chart) in mine, but adjustment was fairly easy once everything was tip top. If you do have to disassemble yours, be careful when reassembling it; it's easy to walk the planet gears off their "axles," and then nothing will work right. It's more finicky than hard, but it might take you a couple times to get it right.

Bendix Adjustment.jpg

First I would start with the cable adjustment before tearing into the hub. Most of the times it is the adjustment on these and not a problem with the hub itself.

I agree, sounds like it just needs the cable tightened. Pedal it with the lever in the open(out) position, then adjust slack out of cable. Maybe make a mark on the outer cable at the cable clamp stop to make sure the outer housing isn't slipping. This will lose that adjustment you just made every time you pull the lever, if that outer housing is slipping.
Judging by the looks of the bike, it wouldn't hurt to service the hub.

First I would start with the cable adjustment before tearing into the hub. Most of the times it is the adjustment on these and not a problem with the hub itself.
I didn't mean to imply that he should tear the hub apart before trying an adjustment, although it's never a bad idea to take a hub apart to clean and grease it if its last service was likely when Bendix assembled it. Just sharing my experience with mine in case he DID have to take it apart.

Yeah, if you just want to do a quick fix to make sure it will work for the next guy(or before you have to put the project on the back burner), you could remove the actuator knuckle(toggle holder in the diagram) and spray some WD40 or whatever your favorite lube is down into the center of the axle. Usually that is enough to loosen the grease that has turned to earwax and let the Sun Gear(MS-36) slide back and forth like it's supposed to.

I found this on here when I was getting my Corvette going; I ended up replacing a part or two (MS-2 and MS-36 on the chart) in mine, but adjustment was fairly easy once everything was tip top. If you do have to disassemble yours, be careful when reassembling it; it's easy to walk the planet gears off their "axles," and then nothing will work right. It's more finicky than hard, but it might take you a couple times to get it right.

View attachment 1759816

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! And yes, my plan is to see if a little tinkering/adjustment will get it working without a complete teardown. The plan is to ride it on occasion; we do a Thursday evening group ride spring through fall and this one will be added to the rotation.

Back