When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a Prewar Rollfast Bicycle in the Middle of the Woods Today

-
I believe for now I will leave it where it sits so that I can go and see it from time to time on a walk. I question though if there are plans to log that wilderness. I hope not, but there are signs that it could go down, in which case if that unfortunately happens I will bring it home. Otherwise it will almost certainly get demolished if loggers go in. I might get the badge alternatively now, just so that it won't continue slowly weathering out there. Its a little lower on the priority list.
Good choice. Don't want to let all the ghosts out. Does every tree have to be cut down?

Good choice. Don't want to let all the ghosts out. Does every tree have to be cut down?
Looks to me like they might take down every tree over 10 inch diameter. Anything of commercial value. I don't really know who's land that is, or if or when the logging might happen, but there have been marking teams and surveyors out here lately. There has been a big logging boom throughout this county in the past few years.

Looks to me like they might take down every tree over 10 inch diameter. Anything of commercial value. I don't really know who's land that is, or if or when the logging might happen, but there have been marking teams and surveyors out here lately. There has been a big logging boom throughout this county in the past few years.
Too bad. Some people think every inch needs to be developed. Enjoy it before it is gone.......

It looks like it may be a crime seen , does the bike have a license attached somewhere ?

That's happened to me 2 times once with a pedal tractor carcass and again with a 9' coke sign. Both did not withstand the elements well. I did drag home the Coke sign but it continues to deteriorate the tractor remains went to a friend who restores pedal cars. I'll look for pictures.

-Mike

7F185F6F-76DC-47A9-A3B6-AAE61BC932B1.jpeg

B2F857D6-04E4-49D6-A1F3-69F71971EEC9.jpeg

1EA4BB26-05DA-46BB-9E4A-007F4A24C1CE.jpeg

[

Last edited:
Too bad. Some people think every inch needs to be developed. Enjoy it before it is gone.......
The problem is land is taxed on what the county thinks it's worth. You'll get a big tax bill on those trees, whether you make anything off of them or not. It becomes a question of whether you want to spend money for the privilege of keeping what you already have, or do you want to put the money in the bank and just pay taxes on the interest.
A man I used to work with told me that he saw a lot of old farms in the Shenandoah Valley developed back in the '70's, and he couldn't understand why someone would cut down an apple orchard for a housing development, until he found out that it was because of inheritance taxes. The land values were so high that the heirs had to sell to pay the inheritance taxes.
It's like the Eagles song: "And they called it paradise, I don't know why, call a place paradise, kiss it good bye."

Last edited:
The problem is land is taxed on what the county thinks it's worth. You'll get a big tax bill on those trees, whether you make anything off of them or not. It becomes a question of whether you want to spend money for the privilege of keeping what you already have, or do you want to put the money in the bank and just pay taxes on the interest.
A man I used to work with told me that he saw a lot of old farms in the Shenandoah Valley developed back in the '70's, and he couldn't understand why someone would cut down an apple orchard for a housing development, until he found out that it was because of inheritance taxes. The land values were so high that the heirs had to sell to pay the inheritance taxes.
It's like the Eagles song: "And they called it paradise, I don't know why, call a place paradise, kiss it good bye."
The problem is us. Too many people. We are just about everywhere. Too much expectation of having it all

Back