When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a Raleigh Competition road bike, can anyone give me info on it?

-

azhearseguy

Finally riding a big boys bike
Found this at an estate sale today. looks like a high end road bike to me. super light and in mint condition. from the serial #s I'mdating it to 1966 if anyone knows different please let me know. also if its a collectors peice or just a nice ride. Thanks. Eddie
RaleighCompetition001.gif

RaleighCompetition002.gif

RaleighCompetition003.gif

RaleighCompetition004.gif

RaleighCompetition005.gif

RaleighCompetition006.gif

RaleighCompetition007.gif

RaleighCompetition008.gif

RaleighCompetition009.gif

This is from Sheldons page, and is how i figured the date of manufacture. it said the 1974 & up had a W as the first digit?.this one doesn't..it's A6334

1967 - 1973

Yet another number system was introduced in 1966. This new system applied to the high-end (i.e. Reynolds 531) frames, and involved the placing of a character at the beginning of the serial number. The character began at the start of the alphabet, and indicated year of manufacture. Detail about the numerals that follow the alphabet are sketchy, and are presumably sequential serial numbers of some kind.
1966: A, followed by four numerals
1967: B, followed by four numerals
1968: C, followed by four numerals
1969: D, followed by four numerals
1970: E, followed by four numerals
1971: F, followed by four numerals
1972: G, followed by four numerals
1973: H, followed by four numerals

Last edited:
ok just needed to read down some more.. :p

Notes:
1. The 531DB Gran Sports built in the early 70's did not have letters in the serial number.
2. Frames built at the Ilkeston facility have serial numbers that begin with "SB".
3. The 1973 track frames begin with an "A".
4. There are several documented cases of '73 and '74 Professionals, Internationals, Competitions and RRAs with "A" serial numbers. Let the color scheme, decals and components be your guide.

Hmmm, looks a lot like my '73 (or '74). They're worth some money, watch ebay a while and see what they sell for. They're also a really nice ride, like really really nice.
Looks like your tubular rims have been replaced with clinchers. I don't know what that does for resale value but it really reduces the cost of tires.
See this website for decal styles listed chronologically.
Great looking bike. Have fun.

When the frame serial numbers aren't clear, try the component serial numbers.

Back