When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found today on CL. 1953 varsity world 3 speed. Wrong parts? (obvious and not so obvious)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Did a few improvements!

IMG_6014[1].JPG

Yep, just about British Racing Green.

IMG_6015[1].JPG

Routed the rear brake cable in the CG clip after a basement search for a long cable.

IMG_6016[1].JPG

These NOS British levers resemble the old style Schwinn ones. Tried to use old grey casings on the brake and shifter cables. Maybe the chubbies should have been black... ?

IMG_6017[1].JPG

A Schwinn Speedster donated the wheels, seat and calipers.

IMG_6018[1].JPG

Finally got the chance to use these NOS Goodyear Nylon Rib tires.

IMG_6019[1].JPG

It is a bigger bike than it looks. Ride is tight. Stops on a dime. Replaced the Brampton trigger with an old S/A until I find a Brampton Hub

IMG_6021[1].JPG

I wish to thank the makers of Goof Off, Rock-Miracle Paint Remover Semi-paste, Sturmey Archer Gearhub Oil, Maguires Medium Cut Cleaner and Bruichladdich 8 year Scotch.

After tomorrows ride around New London, I suspect I will be willing to trade this for something that is not red and that George Jetson would ride.

Thanks

Jim

I also have a '53 Varsity, but the cables were replaced, so don't know if my routing is original. It has a Brampton 3 speed hub, but an SA shifter, which must have been replaced early, since it is a mid-late '50s style. I have the original seat, but in the picture I've put on a Brooks B66. This one also has the cycle lock. Last year for that, I believe.

53 Varsity with B66.jpeg

53 Varsity chain guard.jpeg

53 Varsity Cyclelock.jpeg

53 Varsity seat tube decal.jpeg

sbf 53 Varsity head badge & brakes.jpg

53 Varsity S-A Shifter.jpeg

Thanks! Don’t want to hijack this thread, but it does seem most of these early ‘50s bikes with the winged decals did not survive well. This one was actually for sale for a while before I picked it up. The cycle lock was a cool “extra” on this bike. Rides wonderful. The only negative is the frame is a bit short for me, but I still enjoy riding it.

Back