When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame crack - 1939 Viking (Columbia / Westfield) - Least bad solution?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
55F86386-E377-40D9-9C67-6EC6093F5096.jpeg
085B0170-2299-4D4E-94C1-D58DAF991AA5.jpeg

Yesterday, I noticed that there was a crack about halfway around the top tube, where it meets the seat tube, on my 1939 Viking (or Columbia, or a couple other brands, I think, built by Westfield). (Note: I'm not putting anything on the seller on this. He has been extremely helpful with all of the challenges I have dealt with this bike. I only just noticed the crack after spending plenty of time cleaning and polishing the bike, so I am sure that he didn't see it. )

I'm looking for thoughts as to what to do. I ride all my bikes, so it needs to be rideable. Further, I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

I see several options:

1. Do nothing. If it gets worse, address it then.
2. Be proactive and use some sort of strong epoxy.
3. Be proactive and have it welded.

I appreciate any thoughts or other options that I might consider.

Looks like an auxiliary truss tube; early manufacturer claimed that they were unnecessary, just there for the "stylishness".
Perhaps the use of an extra-long Wald 13/16" seat post, that would extend well past the crack would provide more peace of mind.

<edit> Never mind the above, if it is an already weaker step-through frame.
1) What to do with a girl's frame; 2) that is also damaged; and 3) one does have a garden.

Last edited:
It is a crack and it is spreading into the tube itself. Any more stress and it will split and only be a much larger and more complicate repair. Weld it!

I think the only braze that wouldn't instantly crack would be a fillet braze with real mass-like on a Schwinn. It would stick out like a sore thumb. Your best bet will be to have it TIG welded. A good welder could both ensure a fully fixed crack and also could manipulate the bead to match the small raised welds currently present. Caveat: The steel is aged and could be porous and difficult to clean well enough for tig welding. I think MIG fix is out of the question unless completely desperate. (It could work. You run the risk of burning through the metal and would have a fair amount of file work to do) I have 26 years as a metal worker/welder. I'm sure there are others on here, more expert than me. I hope they chime in. Good Luck

I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, but imho the best way would be to grind out all the metal adjacent to the crack (v grove ) and mig weld the tube. Any excess weld can be dressed off with a file. My guess is if you take it to a shop, they will recommend just what I said.

The problem is heat control and thin metal--the exact problem that TIG is meant to overcome. There is no need to v groove since penetration isn't an issue. The issue is that controlling the heat of a continuous weld is hard as the heat builds up until blowout. you can start and stop but each start is a "cold weld". I agree that it can be done, but I think I'de have someone try to Tig it first---they would know immediately if it would work, and if not, MIG it and get out the file

Back