When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame identification fun...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
This bike came in to the collective and someone working here immediately called dibs on the Rims and hubs (Phil and Wolber).
The rest of the bike was Early Dura Ace and Suntour.

There are no ID Decals anywhere on the bike. The only ID factor that I can personally tell is that the Campy BB's pitch is 24F. I imagine the F stands for French but I dont know. I see no holes in the head for a badge so it must have originally had a decal.

Real nice lugs and real nice fork. I have a loose fork like this in my personal stash that has Nervex on the steerer and Reynolds 531 lights stamped into one of the legs. This one has pointed stiffeners on the inside of the legs from the crown down 2".
No shifter bungs, it had Suntour bar end shifters on it when it came in
It weighs 8.4 pounds as pictured so probably a high tensile frame.
Anyone have one similar? got any ideas.
We are deciding whether to paint it and build it back up or be rid of it / its parts. Everything still on the frame is Campy.

-----

the "F" marking indicates filettatura, the Italian word for thread (in the mechanical sense of the term)

the frame's bottom bracket thread has a pitch diameter of 36mm and a pitch of 24 TPI

cycle clearly an Italian product from roughly around the "bike boom" period

headset & bottom bracket assembly appear to be Campag NGS, possible machine was originally kitted with this ensemble

1657603239505.png

tubing not high tensile; frame and fittings too nice for this

it is likely some form of A.L. Colombo such as SP or Sl

a second possibility might be Falck

you should be able to read a marking on the steerer

if steerer has interior seven helical splines it is from A.L. Colombo ("Columbus")

lug pattern appears to be Prugnat S serie -

1657601461085.jpeg

---

your loose fork is far more likely to have a NERVOR marking on its steerer than a NERVEX one

NERVOR is a second tier french frame tubing brand

many french cycle producers who nominallly build with eleven tube Reynolds will "cheat" & employ a NERVOR steerer in order to save a few centimes. this a wide practice in France. the calibre of the NERVOR alloy steel is below that of the Reynolds.
-----

Last edited:
Thanks for all that. Always good to put all the pieces in their place.
It was disassembled completely today and the BB is indeed Italian.
It's a 21" frame and a slight ding in the downtube so it will be scrapped.
It's hard for me to do that but it's true, we don't sell many small roadbikes. The ones we do, have to be branded. The crowd is getting smaller.

-----

would think there are many members here on the forum who would be delighted to have it

perhaps you could put a notice up so it would not have to go to the knackery

no doubt you know well your market😉

-----

looks like an early 70's Fiorelli, also sold with different labels like Coppi, and Mirella.

There is a pic of the back of the seat post. Notice the Identification.
What size is the seat post stamped? You may have a very decent frame of higher end tubing. If Columbus "SL" the post size should be 27.2mm; if "SP" it should be 27.0mm. If Columbus (or even another high end tube set), I doubt that there would be "SP" tubes used on a frame of that size (<58cm seat tube; frame looks to be 53cm-ish) unless a custom built with a mixed tube set of "SL" & "SP" tubes.
Given all the frame frame pieces (drop-outs, braze-ons) are Campagnolo I would suspect this to be at least one of the higher end frames made by that builder. I doubt that it is a high tensile frame (stays might be though). I also doubt that a Campy Gran Sport (or higher) gruppo would be on a high tensile frame. It could be a "Tre Tubi" frame if the weight isn't what you would expect from a lighter weight build. Hard to judge its weight if your number includes the bottom bracket, headset, seat post and binder bolt. I would be curious to know its weight when completely stripped of parts. Also, the chrome tends to put it as a higher end frame. If the dent in the down tube is located at the point where the front caliper would hit it then it should probably be okay relating to the frame's geometry (down tube not bent). I would certainly be interested in the frame if it was in my vicinity and someone was trying to get rid of it for next to nothing. Even if that frame was built with Campy's Nuovo Gran Sport group it would still be a great ride both as a decent frame and an above average component group for the time.
I have not seen a Columbus steerer with 7 ridges, only with 5 (6 ridges on the Super Vitus steerer). Possible that the frame (Tre Tubi or not) is Columbus, but the steerer/fork was used on a lower cost model (entry to mid-level) whereas the reinforced Columbus fork may have been on the same exact frame, but built up with the next higher level component group (Nuovo or Super Record) to be marketed as the "pro" race model.
Are there any drain holes in the BB shell? Are the brakes externally nutted mount, or recessed nut mount? If recessed I would expect the frame to be more late 70s-early 80s (leaning more 70s given the lack of bottle mount braze-ons regardless of brake mounting type)). If the Suntour or Shimano parts were original (doesn't seem likely though) you can check the date codes (if any) and maybe get a better idea as to its age. Even then, if the parts were replacement, you may be able to use those dates as a "no later than" manufacture date of the frame (unless some one put on parts older than the frame). What does the rear fork space measure; 120mm or 125-126mm?

If you want to ship it I would pay that cost (if not too exorbitant!) if you plan on scrapping it. You can PM me if that is the case.

Last edited:
-----

@rstytnsp -

the Mirella cycle marque bears no relation to Fiorelli

it belongs to the firm Officine Meccaniche Leri of Milano

also produced by them are cycles with the names Leri and Re De Foss

---

there are two Coppi cycle marques

machines marked simply Coppi are produced by Fiorelli

while those marked Fausto Coppi are produced by Fratelli Maschiaghi, S.p.A.

Produzione Cicli F.lli Masciaghi, Coppi, Girardengo, Mash ...http://www.masciaghi.it

-----

Last edited:
I guess I was fooled by the remarkable similarities between 70's Fiorelli construction and same era Mirella.
Since there were other labels besides Coppi (made by Fiorelli), I thought Mirella was one of them.

Back