When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

frame repainting tips

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Thanks for posting these, very interesting. Haven't seen them before. The one that caught my attention was the last one on spray guns, HVLP vs siphon, enamels, acrylic enamels, urethane's, Lacquers. So much misinformation on this one. I think I am going to start a thread here called "Painting: Tips, tricks, methods, & ......mishaps".

I do agree that reading up on this subject is always good. I've read a lot of those. But I have to ask about your comment on base coat/clear coats are the only way? Reading on the subject doesn't help until you pick up that spray gun the first time and spray.....no matter what paint media you are you are using. There is nothing like spraying and watching that run start........

"only"? I said typically, there is a difference. Use what you like but the best bicycle restoration shops like Waterford and Cycleart use urethane base coat clear coat systems for a reason. There is nothing better and unlike powder coating with its very limited color choices, it can be done in a home garage or basement with a crude ventilation system. I also never said a book would give a person the experience of actually doing the painting with a spray gun but the proper use of the spray gun would be covered in any decent how to book. One would assume professional experienced painters were used in the creation of a how to book on painting. Of course painting surface preparation would also be covered in great detail along with trouble shooting once the paint starts going on. Rock solid advice for any beginner.

All this talk about beginners made me do a little reminiscing about my start. I pulled out a photo album I haven't looked at in many years. Here is me a young punk at 20 years old in 1980 with my first paint job on a car and the garage I did it in. I'm not a genius or anything but I have more determination than most. My cousin went to auto body school and he painted cars for friends and himself. I did ask him to paint my Vette for me but he could not have been less interested in what I was up to, but he did let me stand around while he prepped and painted a car in his garage and I thought I can do this. After a lot of begging, my cousin did let me borrow his Binks model 7 spray gun, he spoke about this gun as if it was sent from heaven. I did read some books on fiberglass repair but nothing on paint. I already bought this theft recovery 69 Corvette and got to work. Sanding, priming minor fiberglass repairs and of course all the mechanical work. I sold a 69 Camaro I had to buy the blower. It came out pretty good but I did spend most of the summer and fall doing spot repairs because of sanding scratches that you could see in the finished paint that I missed. You could do easy touch ups with lacquer paint. I was so dumb that I did the entire paint job without a respirator, a paper mask was good enough for me, and so I was on my hands and knees in the backyard throwing up or dry heaving in a delirious haze between coats. Once you start a paint job you don't stop, at least that was my attitude. Finished the job, closed the garage door and slept 18 hours. All the paint materials cost less than $200 in 1979, how times have changed. Oh yeah, the flames came a later.

Attachments

• 1980 paint job.jpg
    1980 paint job.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 233
"only"? I said typically, there is a difference. Use what you like but the best bicycle restoration shops like Waterford and Cycleart use urethane base coat clear coat systems for a reason. There is nothing better and unlike powder coating with its very limited color choices, it can be done in a home garage or basement with a crude ventilation system. I also never said a book would give a person the experience of actually doing the painting with a spray gun but the proper use of the spray gun would be covered in any decent how to book. One would assume professional experienced painters were used in the creation of a how to book on painting. Of course painting surface preparation would also be covered in great detail along with trouble shooting once the paint starts going on. Rock solid advice for any beginner.

Sorry, misread it.
The books would help, to a degree, but experience is the best teacher. Most beginners, in my opinion, start with projects that are too large for their skill level. Start on small items first until you understand air temp and thinner speeds, mixing ratios, spray gun characteristics. It's easier to figure out & fix problems on the small projects than it is to paint a car on your first time spraying. One of the biggest mistakes beginners and inexperienced painters do is to spray coats on way to heavy because it seems to please their eye. There is nothing worse than seeing that first run start, and there is nothing you can do about it. I have nightmare stories about that when I first started.
It's good advice to read up on it, then practice, practice. The other is prep, prep, and more prep. You need a good base for the color to go on, if you don't, you will see it.

it's like i'm writing in Chinese

BTW, don't let up votes go to your head. Anything in opposition to my comments are good for at least a couple. I once said most of the advice here is full of it and that did not win me any friends. Good thing I like to read my own comments but other than that, I'm not sure why I bother. I guess I just like old bikes.

Last edited:
Yeah, like the man says" On personal forums you don't even know if peoples claims are true....."
One thing I know that's true is you have to wear proper protective clothing when painting and ALWAYS wear a mask. I am amazed at how many photos I see of guys painting or sanding without lung protection.
" If you can even smell a whiff of it........ IT IS DAMAGING YOUR LUNGS.
The same goes for much of our household cleaners and the chemicals we use to remove paint and rust.
Some of the products we routinely use, recommended here on the CABE on our "backyard" projects are extremely hazardous to our health . Either through skin absorption or our lungs.
This is a photo of myself getting ready to paint a bike......d4f4fb66d0bc43ca6a8a1a538c8183b4.jpg

Going Jihad on old paint. They actually did and probably still do have gas masks for dogs, no offence intended! They sell disposable paint overalls for like $8. I got tired of sticky arms and hair and started using them not that long ago. If these chemicals kill over time, I'm a walking dead man. I have my hands and lungs into something nasty just about everyday.

it's like i'm writing in Chinese

BTW, don't let up votes go to your head. Anything in opposition to my comments are good for at least a couple. I once said most of the advice here is full of it and that did not win me any friends. Good thing I like to read my own comments but other than that, I'm not sure why I bother. I guess I just like old bikes.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Not sure if you're talking to me. I said I misread your comment and I really never said I disagreed with anything you said. I should have just responded to your post with the first sentence only, and make the second part a response to the original poster as a tip. I was just passing on info that I know I did when I first started painting in 1972. Painting is not my profession, it a hobby for me and has been for 45years. I have made some money from it. I would never criticize anyone who paints nor anyone just starting out, just sharing my experience. If you take my comments wrong, they were not intended that way. I paint one way, you another.

...You could do easy touch ups with lacquer paint. I was so dumb that I did the entire paint job without a respirator, a paper mask was good enough for me, and so I was on my hands and knees in the backyard throwing up or dry heaving in a delirious haze between coats. Once you start a paint job you don't stop, at least that was my attitude. Finished the job, closed the garage door and slept 18 hours....

...If these chemicals kill over time, I'm a walking dead man. I have my hands and lungs into something nasty just about everyday.

momo - Interesting about your physical reactions to the paint fumes. I too was an enthusiastic young car painter from about '69 to '79. I used acrylic lacquer exclusively, and usually with no mask or respirator. The only reactions I ever had from the fumes were a headache and a general malaise....

Back