When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame repair

-

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I recently got this 1951 hurry, it has a cracked frame where seat post connects to the BB. It is cracked around the whole thing What is the best way to repair this? I have very competent welder. Do I have him weld inside the BB and braise the outside or should he just weld from the outside? Thanks in advance

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Hello, imo it would be great if you could add a doubler, but if you just want to weld an be done with it welding from the inside would be my first choice. If you weld from the top you could add a heatsink and do a small fuse weld. Also, most importantly, there is most likely braze on the joint. If this is the case you will have to thoroughly clean this off before welding.

I'm sorry new to this part, do you mean to adding a piece of tubing at the joint of BB? I'm sure my guy will understand it. Thank you and I have been using your old age and the crown of life quote. When people comment I do give you props.
Hello, imo it would be great if you could add a doubler, but if you just want to weld an be done with it welding from the inside would be my first choice. If you weld from the top you could add a heatsink and do a small fuse weld. Also, most importantly, there is most likely braze on the joint. If this is the case you will have to thoroughly clean this off before welding.

I had a similar issue with a Schwinn balloon frame. After cleaning out the previous repair with a grinder,I drove a section of seat tube down until it intersected with the bottom bracket. That not only strengthened the damaged area, it also gave me something to weld to. I’m sure your welder will have his own ideas as well. Good luck.

Back