When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame sizes for Racers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
19" and 21" are the most common sizes with 21" probably being the most common size out there. 23" are more uncommon. But as you get into the 60s they show up more frequently.

ah. Mine is a 63. Love the three speed. It's a joy to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's where the catalogs are, enjoy!

'63 Racer

A shame that price is not still the same. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26" wheels in 19, 21 & 23 inch frame
24" wheels only comes in one frame size
20" wheels only comes in one frame size - Never come across the 20" model
View attachment 1167121
View attachment 1167120
I see the Racer is available with a Sturmey Archer TCW 3 speed coaster hub. Includes front caliper but no rear caliper. What a shame you have to pay extra (even at $4.00 a ripoff, IMHO) for SA's most crappy hub when the classic AW 3 speed with calipers on both ends would be so much better. I would convert any TCW equipped bike with AW/2 caliper package in a heartbeat. Recently worked on a 63 Huffy Sportsman equipped with a TCW/one caliper setup and swapped out to a AW/2 caliper setup without batting an eye.

Nice paint & decals on your bike @BroCraig.
I have a black '63 model also, but it's not near as nice as yours. The blue in the decals has all faded to white.
I replaced the 18 tooth cog with a 20 on my hub to lower the gear ratios a bit.

Nice paint & decals on your bike @BroCraig.
I have a black '63 model also, but it's not near as nice as yours. The blue in the decals has all faded to white.
I replaced the 18 tooth cog with a 20 on my hub to lower the gear ratios a bit.

Cool. We’ve had great riding weather here in Louisiana the week. Ah, but I’ve been quarantined. Son tested positive. We break free on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frame size: I entirely agree about looking at the gap between the down and top tubes where they join the head tube. The gap will tell you the frame size. That's how I do it, and it usually right, but sometimes the picture is from a tricky angle. The 21 inch is the "standard" size and the frame geometry makes it pretty adaptable to different rider sizes.

Sturmey TCW: mainly a way of trying to get a foot in the door of the US market. The US bike market was biased in favor of coaster brakes. Sturmey knew this as far back as the 1910s. Sturmey saw the TCW as a means of making the bikes more acceptable to consumers in the US who had to have a coaster brake. Online, the TCW is often passed-off as totally defective. It's certainly imperfect, but I've fixed and used them on several bikes in the past. Sturmey knew of the flaws in the hub and revised the design more than once. I agree that you only use the TCW if you absolutely have to use one. It's better in the long run to convert to an AW with a rear caliper brake. But if you absolutely have to do a re-creation or the bike just has to have a TCW, it's certainly doable.

Back