When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame Straightening? Park HTS-1 type work?

-

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Does anyone know if there are any shops or hobbyists who do minor frame checking and straightening?

There was formerly a tool called the Park HTS-1 that would push-out small bends in a frame by pushing on the head tube. Ideally I'll locate a HTS-1 (probably worth having one anyway), but I'm willing to have the frame straightened by a person or shop who does that kind of work (I'm in the eastern US). I have an electroforge welded frame with a very slight hump in the top tube I'd like to have checked and straightened. I see no bulges or other damage besides the slight hump. I have the project pulled apart and might as well have it gone over while everything is apart.

These guys do! You’ll have to ship them your frame, but this is the shop that does this type of work.

I’ve had a few fork thread repairs done and the work is absolutely incredible.

Other than that, search out a frame builder in your area

Interesting, I'll have to check with them. I've had luck getting hard-to-find parts from them before. They're pretty good about answering emails.

I have a Park Frame and Fork straightener, FFS-1. It works well on modern lightweights, but a gas pipe Schwinn just laughs at it. A block of wood with a half-round groove in it and a deadblow hammer might do the trick for you. This book has some good and little known means and methods to straighten a bent frame:

The Bicycle Manual on Maintenance and Repair"​

Feel free to PM me some pictures of your frame issues Mike. I do this kind of work here in Vermont mail order. Your particular problem can be a tricky one to address but can be improved most times.

Nate

Feel free to PM me some pictures of your frame issues Mike. I do this kind of work here in Vermont mail order. Your particular problem can be a tricky one to address but can be improved most times.

Nate

Thanks - sent you a PM.

Does anyone know if there are any shops or hobbyists who do minor frame checking and straightening?

There was formerly a tool called the Park HTS-1 that would push-out small bends in a frame by pushing on the head tube. Ideally I'll locate a HTS-1 (probably worth having one anyway), but I'm willing to have the frame straightened by a person or shop who does that kind of work (I'm in the eastern US). I have an electroforge welded frame with a very slight hump in the top tube I'd like to have checked and straightened. I see no bulges or other damage besides the slight hump. I have the project pulled apart and might as well have it gone over while everything is apart.
I have one. PM sent.

Back