When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame Tube Dent Removal

-
I like the stud welder and slide hammer tool method, then using low temperature 50-50 lead-free solder to fill the low spots.

I like the stud welder and slide hammer tool method, then using low temperature 50-50 lead-free solder to fill the low spots.

These are basically for sheet metal panels so I wonder how well they would do on a dent in bike tubing. No access to the inside of the dent on tubing so it would be nice if these would work.

Last edited:
pretty good crease in the frame in the first video. guy has all the tools but bending metal does not appear to be his field of expertise. putting heat when he used the hammer was completely unneeded, I'd use the wood block and the hammer to fix that dent. it would be difficult if not impossible to get that crease out 100% without the stud welder/slide hammer, but he could have got it closer if he tried.

the stud welder guy is not very good with metal, but he is a collision guy, not a craftsman. he does show how they work though.

as for using a stud welder on a vintage bike frame those studs stick pretty good, if you hold the trigger too long you will burn a hole even in thicker vintage automotive sheet metal, with the thicker steel of a bike frame you could get a stud to stick good enough to use the slide hammer to pull it out. I could fix that dent in the frame with no filler at all and it would be easier on a thick vintage bike frame than the butted tubing of the one he is fixing.

If you have a dent in the seat tube, you can use a rifle barrel expander tool.
I spoke with Paul and he might try the stud spot welder. His replicated 1888 Whippet bicycle is very impressive.

I think in the original video, the guy was working on an aluminum frame. Probably a lot easier than trying to do this to an old heavy gauge steel frame.

The frame Paul is working with is not Aluminum. Rocky mountain bikes where not aluminum. The man is an artist in my book.One of the best . Just look at some of his u tube video.s to see what he has built . Just my take

The way he was handling that frame, the frame looked like it didn’t weigh much.

Little dents/dimples (no creases) can be taken out of steel when heated to orange with a torch usually.

Back