When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freewheel Chain Slipping

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I remembered I have a gopro that can help me with things. Check this out.

It looks like a link is jumping or is bound up somehow. Remember it only happens on the smallest cog. Could it be a link that isn't worked out fully or a derailleur issue, etc? It doesn't bind up or catch when it's being run through easily, especially in the stand.

Seeing the chain jump up like that would indicate a binding link to me. Does the chain have a quick link?

Try another new chain. If that doesn't help then post a close-up pic of the small freewheel sprocket with the outer chain guard (top protector) removed. Perhaps one tooth is bent or malformed?

The reason I asked if there was a quick link is there may be a chance that the link that was used to join the chain together is a tad bit tight. Sometimes it takes a little fiddle farting to get it just right so it doesn't bind, especially on a 14t gear.

Last edited:
Still working on the driveline issue. I went through each link and they are all free. I'm going to get another chain and go from there.

New chain, KMC Z33....same issue. Now I'm leaning towards freewheel. Who knows...I"ll put $$ into another one of those and it won't be the issue I'm sure. :rolleyes: It only does it on the smallest cog. o_O

odd place for this thread!

Excuse me if this was discussed but it sounds like a derailleur return spring tension problem.

Did you take these apart, clean and re grease them?

gt 300.jpg

Back