When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French Tandem bike identification!

-

Slick4d4d

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is a great tandem bike that missed out on years ago, I didn't have the money for it or the space (I still don't have the space). But it recentlycame back on the market and I couldn't pass it up this time! I remember it being an expensive bike and the shop that had it was asking a pretty penny for it, but since I saw it last all the water based decals are all most complete gone and I'd like your guys, and gals, help putting a name to it again. The most unique feature is the wide bottom bar under the pump.

20211128_123214.jpg

20211128_123224.jpg

20211128_123229.jpg

20211128_123237.jpg

20211128_123249.jpg

20211128_123315.jpg

20211128_123321.jpg

20211128_123334.jpg

20211128_123339.jpg

-----

cycle appears to be one produced for Mel Pinto Imports of Falls Church Virginia

the coat-of-arms transfer on the cycle's head tube is that of the Pinto family -

1638225508832.png

the machine looks to date from the early-to-mid 1980's

Mel Pinto Imports, or MPI for short, is yet in operation today

company founder passed earlier this year at the age of ninety-seven

---

do not recognize the manufacturer of the machine. MPI had a long association with Gitane; AFAIK that ended many years ago.

at one point they were also an agent for Urago cycles.

forum member @MauriceMoss may be able to identify the actual producer of the machine....

MPI had numerous house branded products, both cycles and accessories.

---

fittings -

Stronglight model 99 chainset

Simplex SLJ gear ensemble with Suntour Barcon shifters

MAFAC cantilever brakes

ATOM rear drum brake

Lyotard model Berthet pedals

AFA frame pump

---

" The most unique feature is the wide bottom bar under the pump."

in frame building terminology this is known as the bottom tube. the oval shape seen here is standard on a Reynolds tubing tandem set. it is widely found on high quality lightweight tandem machines.

---

here is a forum discussion thread on an example whose owner states it to be from the early 1970's

its downtube exhibits a similar "Mel Pinto Special" transfer as seen on the subject machine -

-----

Last edited:
I know nothing about this thing but OH MY GOODNESS THATS A GORGEOUS BIKE!

I’d throw out the TV and keep that in the family room during the winter so I could sit and polish it and then sit back and admire it.

during the summer I’d ride the wheels off of it.

being French the wide bottom tube is likely for bringing home the daily bagette as there is no basket.

I recent bought a tandem as well. No I don’t have the space and thats a problem but it is a fun thing that my wife and I can enjoy together.

and thats always a good thing and therefore well worth the hassle.

I hope yours was worth the wait, it certainly is beautiful. Enjoy it!

Back