When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fresh Find: 1980 Cook Brothers Three Bar Cruiser

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yeah, my first inkling that these bikes were hot, was when I saw a seat post clamp go for $2,000!
The thing looked like something you could easily make in your garage, with the most basic machining skills.
Since then, I’ve seen some amazing auction results for Cook Bros bikes and parts.
Finding them at a thrift store, is definitely the way to go. Lol!

The Cook Bros frames and gear were top shelf, aviation/race car level build quality. The great engineering, materials and build quality isn't reflected in the simplicity of many of the parts they made. The stuff will outlive us all. Great find in quite a rare color. Thanks for sharing your story.

Boy I could see your excitement radiating off the pictures...Lol! Thats the kinda of fox hunting I normally do and it rarely pays off so congrats!
Closest Ive come is buying an 84 Hutch Trickstar for 20 bucks a few years back....even then getting it home didnt feel real.

Some progress. Waxed the heck out of the frame and fork and oiled the surface rust areas for more protection. Not like this thing will see rain anyway but piece of mind. Cleaned up and adjusted the BB, axles, got a straight seatpost, .005 post shim and Brooks saddle. Unfortunately the fork crown race is really loose, not sure which direction I’ll take on that. The bondo trick sounds the least intrusive vs punching marks in the fork. A new Tange Meriter crown race is unobtainium, apparently.

Between this and the nice, original Yamaha Motobike earlier this summer I’m realizing getting bikes from female owners is the ticket! Everything is straight, wheels are true, bearings feel great. You know if I dude owned this it would’ve been spray painted three times, frame welds broken, wheels turned to squares from jumping the Snake River, etc.

Rounding it out, this week hopefully my tires will come and a generous guy from CA sent me some vintage Matthews cruiser bars to run. Can’t wait to get it going again!

7C756C31-C7A0-4573-A3A7-8C40E804F96E.jpeg

4D834EF4-0A85-4E1F-8A47-6EE0CC3E5148.jpeg

Some progress. Waxed the heck out of the frame and fork and oiled the surface rust areas for more protection. Not like this thing will see rain anyway but piece of mind. Cleaned up and adjusted the BB, axles, got a straight seatpost, .005 post shim and Brooks saddle. Unfortunately the fork crown race is really loose, not sure which direction I’ll take on that. The bondo trick sounds the least intrusive vs punching marks in the fork. A new Tange Meriter crown race is unobtainium, apparently.

Between this and the nice, original Yamaha Motobike earlier this summer I’m realizing getting bikes from female owners is the ticket! Everything is straight, wheels are true, bearings feel great. You know if I dude owned this it would’ve been spray painted three times, frame welds broken, wheels turned to squares from jumping the Snake River, etc.

Rounding it out, this week hopefully my tires will come and a generous guy from CA sent me some vintage Matthews cruiser bars to run. Can’t wait to get it going again!

View attachment 1473712

View attachment 1473714
Shimming the crown race and securing it with bearing adhesive may be another option.

Stoked for you man! Great story, and an amazing pick up! Absolutely stunning bike. I had second hand anticipation anxiety for you when you were waiting to pick it up 😂

thought on the crown race. Is it possible the race was changed at some point? And someone may have mistakenly thrown a 27.0 on there? (Should be 26.4) there’s likely a compatible race available.

View attachment 1473712

View attachment 1473714
Thats cleaning up nice.crazy they put the registration sticker right on the headtube.was just an old bike back then.could you imagine if you only knew.........

Thats cleaning up nice.crazy they put the registration sticker right on the headtube.was just an old bike back then.could you imagine if you only knew.........
No kidding! Couldn't they have chosen a less apparent place to put it?! I tried peeling up an edge but no dice. I also hear the Cook decals are fragile as heck so I guess it stays. They also carved the registration number into the downtube, ugh.

Back