eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sworley

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Some progress, figured if I was going to run those heavy tires, I didn't need to run the heavy tubes, too. Also got a new White Industries freewheel for it but 1. my diagnosis of the old freewheel having play in it was wrong, this exhibited the same behavior so likely it's a bent axle. 2. the bigger FW body hits the frame in the dropout so I'll be refurbing the skinny, old freewheel and reinstalling.

I have new hub bearings coming for the Sunshine hubs and I'll have my local shop ensure the axles are straight. Still having a heck of a time with the headset, thinking I may just replace it. Any recommendations? I like this one. I want something quality, period looking and new. Not going to dick around with mix and matching old, worn parts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283782942117?campid=5335809022

Lastly, there was a criterium downtown Saturday so it was a great chance for my wife and me to ride the looptails.

thumbnail_IMG_2035.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2055.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2067.jpg

Last edited:

ozzie

Finally riding a big boys bike
Tange headsets are great. The one in the link provided should fit and will be light. If you want a chrome plated Tange HS, have a look at the MX-2 but it will be a little heavier. My personal favorite for most of my builds.

sworley

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Some more progress. Installed new sealed bearings in the 2nd gen Sunshine hubs, put the old freewheel back on as it was not the issue, installed the rear brake and some new DiaCompe cable clamps.

I was able to finally adjust the old headset somehow. I did take the fork downtown again to have the race pounded hard again to be sure. I'll go for a good ride tonight to ensure it does not come loose again.

Installed some Hunt Wilde grips but not sure about the color, pretty loud! Kinda was going for a primary color thing and to pull out the red of the decals... I also have a set in dark blue that I could run, too.

thumbnail_IMG_2187.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2197.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2199.jpg

Last edited:

Metalbender

Finally riding a big boys bike
Very cool Sam! Thanks for posting the neat history! The bike is in good hands. We need to get a cruise going in Ames....would be so much fun.