When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fresh Find: 1980 Cook Brothers Three Bar Cruiser

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I got the headset race shimmed last night at the bike shop but the pop can was likely not enough, I still have some wiggle that I cannot adjust out. Maybe need a Sapporo can, lol.

New tires came today and man, not sure I'm feeling them. What a bummer modern mfgs need to put their massive logos on everything. I like the idea of the lightweight, high quality and suppleness of modern tires but am unsure of the look. Good thing I can always run these on my Kona instead.

thumbnail_IMG_1996.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1999.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2004.jpg

I have the same issue with the massive logos on many of the tires today especially most of the tires by Maxxis. If you want some great black walls, imo the best tire at the moment is the S&M speedball. No printed logos, quality construction, 70 psi rated, fast rolling and smooth ride. Reasonably priced too. I have them on 2 of my bikes including my Cook Bros tribute.

Had to put the blackwalls back on. Seems unfortunate to laden this lightweight cruiser with heavier parts but vintage is the answer on this rig. I’ll apply the lighter tires to my 90s Kona, I guess. Next up I need to source a nicer freewheel as the original has some odd oscillation in it. And I need to re-shim that crown race again.

25CCD2BD-B289-4696-B295-C315C4B5EB74.jpeg

97D5B0CC-4579-4091-B9C5-88AA6B42A882.jpeg

Last edited:
I had the exact same model headset and it wobbled upon installation on two of my old school bmx bikes. I eventually tried a bear -trap and the cups fit more snuggly on both frames. I'm able to tighten the beartrap without wobble.

Back