Fresh Find:Elgin Twin Bar 20

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Mar 4, 2012
East Los
Hello fellow CABErs. I came upon a very unexpected surprise during a late night skim of my local Craigslist. I found blurry,badly lit pics of an upside-down bike hanging from rafters. I enlarged the pic,and still wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. Not only due to the bad pics, but because I'm fairly new to the Vintage bicycle hobby. I thought I saw 2 top tubes,2 lower tubes, but couldn't make out the seat tube. Was this an Elgin? Similar to the one I drooled over being sold in the classifieds here just a few weeks ago? I forwarded pics to fellow member lobsterboyx(Danny). I knew he had a couple of his own and would be able to tell right away. Sure enough, it's a Elgin Twin Bar 20. The ad had been posted at 10:51pm. I was texting to set up a meet by 11:10pm. So, I did what any excited bike collector with a job would do. I made up a well planned out excuse to be 3hrs late to work this morning! I picked up Danny on the way there to take advantage of his Twin Bar expertise to ensure I as making a wise investment. Here she is,as I purchased her. It had been sandblasted(why must everyone do that!),primered,wrong wheels,bars,grips & I believe seat installed. Other than that, she looks pretty complete. The seller also threw in an extra pair of newer import G3 copies & a really nice Schwinn skiptooth crankset. Danny hooked me up with a correct air-cooled rear hub assembly,so I can lace it up to a set of crusty drop-centers for now. I plan to go through and clean,grease & adjust it up for daily riding until I can come up with the needed parts & more importantly $$$ for a complete resto.

5Z35Ed5K33F93Mb3H1c81f5cb647777b619b61-1.jpg

5L45V15W33E23nf3G8c819559fa8d12081ee4-1.jpg

IMAG0823-1.jpg

Last edited:

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 23, 2011
Las Vegas
Score! Ready for paint of your choosing!

cyclonecoaster.com

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 8, 2008
SoCal, United States
www.cyclonecoaster.com
Looks Familiar

Here is my original paint 20 -- I got it on a large auction site many moons ago -- rode it last Saturday to the Huntington Beach US Open Surfing Competition -- RIDE VINTAGE -- Frank

Twinn 20 LBC.jpg
Twinn 20 the Wedge 8-2012.jpg

lobsterboyx

Feb 5, 2008
Los Angeles
Mike and I had a fun day, It was good to see him jump in to this level of collecting. Its a clean bike that needs just a bit to be cruising. Congrats Mike - see you sunday!

fordmike65

Mar 4, 2012
East Los
Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself. Still need a few things like a correct front hub, bars,light & rear reflector. I'll be at the Antique Drags in Barona this Sunday, so I won't be able to make it out to the swapmeet this time. I took my Twin Bar to my first Coasters ride last month. It did pretty well, except for the seat riding up...Ouch!

fordmike65

Mar 4, 2012
East Los
Can anyone help me decipher these numbers stamped on the lower tubes under the BB? I'd like to know the year if possible. I can get better pics if needed. It just means I have to manage the awkward task of flipping it over that Twin Bar owners know all too well. That's the only time you really miss not having a seat tube.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Balloontyre

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Oct 2, 2011
Bismarck, United States
The numbers on the tubes under BB are hard to read, and lots of um too. I can't tell if that is a Murray or Westfield built bike.
Can you take a pic of the rear from above the rack looking forward, and a better shot of the digits, both will help in identifying and dating the bike.

fordmike65

Mar 4, 2012
East Los
Don't know if either one of these will help some. I'll flip her over and sand a bit to see if I can make out the numbers any better.

IMAG0824-1.jpg

IMAG0975_zps91678359-1.jpg

Last edited:

Balloontyre

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Oct 2, 2011
Bismarck, United States
Westfield

Great shots, it's a Westfied bike, should be real easy to determine the year once you uncover the serial. The letter that precedes the number is the year indicator.

fordmike65

Mar 4, 2012
East Los
Thanks for the info. I'll flip her over & check the numbers a bit better when I get home tonight after dinner.

fordmike65

Mar 4, 2012
East Los
I usually ride one of my bikes to my local barbershop one Saturday a month. It's less than a 1/2mile to downtown, so it's a nice leisurely ride. Sometimes my girl will join me and go to a small antique shop a few blocks away while I'm getting my Doo trimmed. Afterwards, we'll grab some lunch,and if we're not in a hurry, a couple beers as well. Sometimes a few too many. Anywho, this was the first time I took my Twin Bar out there. You should've seen the looks it got! The things rusted, in primer & people were staring,asking what year it was,where I got it,how long I've had it. No one had never seen a frame anything like it. The guys at the barbershop crowded around,checking it out, noticing new details with every glance. The absence of a seatpost grabbed the most attention, but they also noticed the frame design,sheetmetal,shroud,etc. The Twin Bar really is quite a unique bike. I feel very proud and fortunate to have one. Someday, I plan to restore it to it's former beauty. Thank you all for all your help so far. I still have a long way to go....

IMAG0957_zpsac4d9f60-1.jpg

Last edited:

lobsterboyx

Feb 5, 2008
Los Angeles
It looks fantastic Mike! congrats again, lets see that colson you just picked up!

THEGOLDENGREEK

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 9, 2012
Earth
VERY NICE FIND ... i like the elgin you found. I do have a rear carrier for that if your intrested and with a jewel all original. PM if your intrested.:)

"All I got in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break either of 'em for nobody!"

fordmike65

Mar 4, 2012
East Los
Thought I'd post a few updated pics. I found a men's rear fender with correct Delta #15 reflector attached,though it has the incorrect Murray braces. Picked up some semi correct 26" wide Torrington's, and SW/Air Cooled wheelset, which luckily came with the chainadjusters. All I need now are the correct rear fender braces & cranknut.

IMAG0309_zps2fe45705-1.jpg

IMAG0310_zpse9e61c3b-1.jpg

IMAG0311_zps5721f047-1.jpg

This ad goes away when you register for an account!