When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From rust to glory... The story of a 1902 Pierce chainless cushion restoration begins!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes, the 28” x 1-3/4” smooth white tires will fit. You may consider having him make 30” x 1-3/4” rims. They look stunning and RD 28” x 1-3/4” smooth whites will stretch over them, perfectly.
Tell Stutzman you’re using 1-3/4” tubular tires and he will cut the correct radius, perfectly. He has made a router bit for that radius, to fit that exact tire.

Then stain the ash rims with a dark honey stain and then cover with milk paint. You can use a small propane torch and char the surface, before staining. This will give a depth of distressed antique finish.
Then use a fine mesh 3-M scuff sponge on the milk paint finish, until you get the right faux antique look.

Progress in the shipping department.... Mitch is taking SO much care to pack it so well, great to see! As I said to Mitch.... "the poor old bike has survived 118 years already and is damn well not going to get damaged on our watch!"

Can anyone tell me who made the Pierce front hub for the 1902 bikes?? Made in house by Pierce?? Anyone got a good picture of the correct animal? I am looking for one.

Can anyone tell me who made the Pierce front hub for the 1902 bikes?? Made in house by Pierce?? Anyone got a good picture of the correct animal? I am looking for one.
the only literature I have seen on them, is for the Racer's, which stated Pierce made hubs.
As for rears, New Departure Coaster brake.

However, with that in mind, Brant has a set for sale, and he may be able to tell you what the front hub is.

The Pierce has just taken a great leap forward in the parts department! I have been able to acquire a restorable set of the correct No. 5 Kelly bars that are listed as an option in the 1902 Pierce catalogue... SUPER happy about that!! The dream bike is coming together after 6 long years of dreaming... :)
All I need now is the correct front hub to come along and I am pretty much set for old parts... then it is reproduction rims, tyres and seat to go....

Bike is ready to get on a plane and fly to NZ any day now!!! Exciting times... We have chosen Bike Flights to do the hard work....

I am still looking for the correct front hub! Or even good photos of what a 1902 Pierce hub even looks like....

A couple of Rust to Glory updates.... the bike with the Kelly bars in the box has been shipped! So that's exciting and I have paid a deposit on a replica Troxel seat.... still looking for the front hub. Next on the shopping list are white tubular tyres from Robert Dean and new wooden rims from Stutzman..... it's a little tricky to deal with them from New Zealand so I am going to try and find a friendly antique bicycle contact in the USA with some spare time to organise those items for me have them ordered and delivered to them and pack them together for shipping to NZ when I can afford them!

Back