When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front and rear derailleurs

-

eeapo

Finally riding a big boys bike
99.999 % of my bike repairs are on single speed bikes. I acquired a 1970 something made in America Huffy 15 speed in pretty decent condition. I have taken it all apart cleaned lubed a replaced some parts.

my question is the chain and the rear derailleur, how do I position the chain on the sprockets To start the adjustment, do I start With smaller sprocket on the cassette to the smaller sprocket on the crank, or?

Thank you,

I always start with the chain on the small freewheel sprocket and small front chain ring with rear derailleur relaxed. The springs in the rear Der pull the jockey wheel cage to the outside, small sprocket. From that position I set up my shifter and cable. Lots of little things in this process so maybe check out the Schwinn repair manuals for the "correct" procedure that I'm probably not aware of. lol

Back