When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front engine Moped? or Bike or don't know what to call it

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

64 Pete

Look Ma, No Hands!
Many moons ago I was at a flea market in Englishtown, NJ.
I came across a bike shaped machine which had two wheels(24"-ish), brakes, pedals, a dedicated front mount for a friction drive gas engine.
The real kicker was the gas tank was in the down tube.(no top tube in frame)
It most resembled a 40's or 50's heavy duty woman's frame, but clearly did not start out as a bicycle.
It could have been ridden as a bicycle but was pretty hefty in weight so probably not much fun to pedal.
Pretty sure it was not a Solex but I can't recall the name on it.
Does this ring a bell for anyone? Long shot to be sure.

Thanks
Pete

There were quite a few Euro companies that employed the same style of direct friction movement as a VeloSolex-
I have a few in crates that I should probably break apart for the 'Boardtrack Racer" community.
Maybe it was the 'PowerPak' Cycle Motor? As I recall the Trojan MiniMotor is always at the rear of the machine... As was said above though there were many many variations mid-20th century.

Hi,
I've looked at a lot of pictures of VeloSolex but didn't see one with a fuel tank built into frame.
That would be the really unique part I thought.
It was definitely set up to be front friction drive, and it definitely did not start out as a regular bike.
I almost bought it except I had no clue where I'd ever find the engine for something like that and it was too heavy to ride as a straight bicycle.
Unfortunately I have a long memory for "the ones that got away!"

Pete

Maybe it was some custom jobber using a Solex front end like the photos I found online below?

Back in college, my buddy was going to take the front end of a Solex and mate it to a Schwinn cantilever frame he had around. But he broke the cast aluminum flywheel trying to remove it and tossed it all in the trash.

Honestly, you’re not missing much. The friction drive mopeds were pretty junky. AMF made a rear friction drive model. Find yourself a Vespa Ciao, Puch Maxi or better yet a Puch Magnum, and then you’d have a decent moped experience.

F82B474B-1F32-4B75-A569-D1B3CD718983.png

Last edited:
Back