When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Hub Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can someone verify for me that these are the correct parts for a front hub on a Deluxe Cruiser?
IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

My Cruiser 5 has the front bearings in a retainer. I don't think I've seen a multi speed bike without a font brake.

My Cruiser 5 has the front bearings in a retainer. I don't think I've seen a multi speed bike without a font brake.
I believe this bike was custom built by a Schwinn shop in Louisville. The rear coaster was replaced with the 5 speed and a rear caliper brake. It also had added fenders and a speedo. I stripped all of that off and started the re-build. One of the front hub cones is shot which got me wondering if the insides had been replaced hence the question.
IMG_4049.JPG

When I got my 84 Cruiser 5, it too had been outfitted with chrome fenders and a front rack. I removed them and rode it "as original" for a while then got a wild hair and created a wanna be old ballooner out of it. I still have the original fork, seat, and chainguard to change it. The 50s era fenders et al fit the the 35 year later frame with no tweaking.

IMG_20190820_175155342.jpg

Can someone verify for me that these are the correct parts for a front hub on a Deluxe Cruiser?
View attachment 1282437
View attachment 1282438
Those look like the correct parts from the 4 or 5 Schwinn cruisers/spitfires from that era that I have overhauled. From my understanding those are ACS hubs and unfortunately the cones are always shot! Oh yeah and the bearing balls are 15/64”, a non standard size by today’s normal.
You can find the cones on occasion and even the cups too are out there.

I thought I had once read an article (maybe on the CABE) that bearings in a retainer worked better, lasted longer than bearings not in a retainer. It sort of makes sense that the retainer bearings would not have the opportunity to grind on each other since they are captured. And yes...at least the rear hub is labeled as an ACS hub. I would have to assume the front is as well.
Cone.jpg

Hub.jpg

Back