When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FULL Disclosure?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Howdy

Am I too picky or have I just not been around the block quite yet in this hobby?

I understand that these bikes (Prewar) are old and aren't going to be perfect. But several bikes I've bought have had issues such as repairs done/repairs needed or alterations done that have not been disclosed when purchased.

Some may remember the original '40 Elgin Twin 4 star deluxe I had for sale. I disclosed everything I could think of, which when reading my ad it seemed like the bike was a steaming pile. But it's the same bike that I bought that "needed nothing".

I'm to the point that I need to start selling if I want to buy more. Am I supposed to just take a couple of pics and list a price and call it good unless someone specifically asks in regards to something? What's disclosure necessary and what's considered expected for it's age?

Thanks
Chad

Honesty is the best policy...I would rather keep a good name than the $10.00 extra pocket.

I recently bought a flywheel and bell housing that were "Never installed" n a motor. When it arrived there were two large holes in the bottom of the bell housing and the flywheel had corrosion. I can have the Flywheel machined but it's the point...full disclosure! Your choice Cha.

BART

Actually I think this really depends on the buyer. Unless I ask I assume nothing works--light, horn, speedo etc.. and for the most part this doesn't bother me. What does bother me are major repairs or incorrect, modified, or repo parts if touted as "all original". Minor paint blemishes or scratches are not an issue but tube dents or other significant damage should be mentioned. As a seller I don't deliberately try to hide or mis-describe anything but I'm a human capable of error--just ask my two ex-wives! This is why, as a buyer, I ask all the things that matter to me. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Take good pictures.Tell what you definitely know and tell potential buyers to ask questions if they have any.Its better to let buyers know that you dont know everything and try to answer to the best of your knowledge. Dont try to "better" the bike by saying things you are not sure of.

Take good pictures.Tell what you definitely know and tell potential buyers to ask questions if they have any.Its better to let buyers know that you dont know everything and try to answer to the best of your knowledge. Dont try to "better" the bike by saying things you are not sure of.
Well put.

Many probably know that I have been buying and selling all kinds of crap for 40+ years. I try my damnedest to describe ALL I know, good and bad. I often try to under rate something somewhat so that when the buyer gets it, he/she is pleased. I have had many repeat over and over buyers over the years like many of us. All you can do is be as open and honest as you can. If you don't know the correct answer to a question don't make something up. I'm not perfect. I can honestly say a few times I described as incorrect. When the customer got the item they called me out on it. I took whatever it took to resolve issue. I took item back gave full refund, paid return shipping or gave partial refund if that worked for customer. I can remember on a couple of cheap items told customer to keep item and I refunded in full. I am not looking for high fives, just be as HONEST AS YOU CAN. Do what it takes to rectify. My 2 pennies.

it's all about the pictures... "a picture is worth a thousand words" is an old saying, but I see way too many pictures that are worth only 250 - 300 words. then we get idiots who only look at tiny pictures on their phone, then come and complain about the top of the vintage dining table needs refinishing, and offer you half what you were asking. I had big clear pictures in that ad on Craigslist. people are idiots. sell 10 items over the interweb and you will meet at least 7.

when people buy on ebay off a phone, especially without reading the description, this is bound for trouble -esp cause ebay typically sides with the buyer

Back