When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fully Plated 19th century "Trick" bike - What Might it be?

-

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Any thoughts on what the make of this cycle may be?
The rider is Guy Torley, famous "fancy" rider in his day especially in Minn.
Multiple articles refer to his bicycle as a "special make" but do not refer to a particular special maker.
I suppose he could have had any small craftsman build it but there are some relatively distinct features, triple crown fork, nearly no rake by the looks of the fork,

My collection1.jpg

It reminds me of a fully nickel plated take apart frameset that I have. My frame has a fork crown and cranks that are similar to Iver Johnson, but different.
Any thoughts on what the make of this cycle may be?
The rider is Guy Torley, famous "fancy" rider in his day especially in Minn.
Multiple articles refer to his bicycle as a "special make" but do not refer to a particular special maker.
I suppose he could have had any small craftsman build it but there are some relatively distinct features, triple crown fork, nearly no rake by the looks of the fork,

I think those kind of bikes got chucked away due to the talent needed to ride them. Possibly a few in museum's they must be custom made. i love that picture great find.

Looking through Chronicling America (you should all check out this database of early newspapers) I found quite a few articles, especially from Minn, about Torley. He was known for this trick, disassembling his bicycle in mid-ride, and apparently capable of everything up to riding a tight or slack line on a bicycle without tires. It seems like his heyday was the mid to late 1890's and stopped trick riding by the mid to late teens. By the 20's he became an advocate for an sciatic relief ointment or somesuch.

This 1901 book might teach you a thing or two at the very least - are pictures now drag on drop or do they all have to be url hosted?

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 247
Back