When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Functional Italian Art

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

frankabr.

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is a rare circa 1984 Colnago Victory that I found on Craigslist. These bicycles are true works of art. All hand made, this one used Columbus SL tubing, and was similar to the Colnago Super. Components were NOS Campagnolo Victory, all around.

In order to make the bike functional, I did as follows:

1. I replaced the sew ups with clinchers for riding purposes. (Campy record hubs, Campy Rims). The original sewups have rare Campy Victory hubs, Ambrosio rims, along with Vittoria sew ups. You really don't want to ride on sew ups if you can avoid it. I once rode past a liquor store that had shards of glass in the street, and had two sew ups explode under me at once.
2. I've replaced the Victory pedals and clips with Shimano clipless pedals. Those who know me, know I am not a fan at all of the old rat trap pedals. I will keep the pedals and rims for someone elso who in the future may want them.
3. The great part about Campy Victory is that the crank spider is 116mm and can accept 36 tooth chainrings. I plan on replacing the small 41 tooth chainring with a smaller 36. Older Campy Record cranks could not do this, as the spider was too large. So for someone like me, who lives in the mountains, and who won't be participating in the upcoming Tour De France, it's great.
4. Lastly, I plan on changing the seat to something a little more comfortable.

Any comments appreciated,

Best regards, F.A.

Attachments

• DSC_0675.jpg
    DSC_0675.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0680.jpg
    DSC_0680.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 69
Gorgeous bike!

I sure do enjoy a nice Colnago. I've got a mid 80's Bianchi as a commuter and a 1960 Vitus track racer for fun.

Colnagos were probably the nicest made and nicest looking of them all

Some people may disagree as there were other fine Italian bicycles, including:
Masi, Guericotti, De Rosa, Bianchi, Cinelli, Pogliahi, as well a many others.

But theres something about Colnagos that makes you stop and take notice, Most other bikes were "Clone Nagos."

F.A.

I sure do enjoy a nice Colnago. I've got a mid 80's Bianchi as a commuter and a 1960 Vitus track racer for fun.

Did your Bianchi look anything like this?This is an 86 I sold this past summer.

Attachments

• Bianchi 002.jpg
    Bianchi 002.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 67
Some people may disagree as there were other fine Italian bicycles, including:
Masi, Guericotti, De Rosa, Bianchi, Cinelli, Pogliahi, as well a many others.

But theres something about Colnagos that makes you stop and take notice, Most other bikes were "Clone Nagos."

F.A.

You forgot my personal favorite, the "worst name choice for marketing success in the US" bike - Faggin

Back