When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funky or Normal?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
otascopromo.jpg

EDITED COMMENTS: Initially, what I thought you had was a Western Flyer Cosmic Flyer, just like the one in this first picture, circa around 1966. Photo credit: Cabe member 'wrongway'. Upon closer inspection I noticed the small blade attachment on your front fender, your rear reflector, and the decals on your forks don't match a Cosmic Flyer.

The correct identity of your bike is an Otasco Flying O. They were built by Murray for Otasco (Oklahoma Tire and Safety Company). Take a close look at yours and see if the identifying features in the other pictures of a Flying O match yours.

View attachment 827779

View attachment 827799

View attachment 827800

View attachment 827801

View attachment 827804

actually it could be a Murray Solar Flite, from 64 to 66.

Without seeing the decal on the top of the headlight, or the serial number you can't tell if it is an Otasco branded Murray or not.

If it is an Otasco, they sold the Lancer, with this style tank, from 63' to 66' when the new style tank came out.

The Otasco model would have 54X6. at the beginning of the serial number.

Here is a page from the 1964 Murray catalog, introducing the Solar Flite, (which is a Y54 in the serial of the Murray), also a couple shots of my late 1963 built for 1964 model year Otasco Flying O Lancer.

Aside from the serial number and branding, the Solar Flite and the Lancer are identical bicycles

1964Murraybicyclescatalog8_zpse086ba73.jpg

Lancer.jpg

20171029_163942.jpg

Last edited:
actually it could be a Murray Solar Flite, from 64 to 66.

Without seeing the decal on the top of the headlight, or the serial number you can't tell if it is an Otasco branded Murray or not.

If it is an Otasco, they sold the Lancer, with this style tank, from 63' to 66' when the new style tank came out.

The Otasco model would have 54X6. at the beginning of the serial number.

Here is a page from the 1964 Murray catalog, introducing the Solar Flite, (which is a Y54 in the serial of the Murray), also a couple shots of my late 1963 built for 1964 model year Otasco Flying O Lancer.

Aside from the serial number and branding, the Solar Flite and the Lancer are identical bicycles

View attachment 885634

View attachment 885635
View attachment 885642
I still think it's an Otasco, based solely on the distinctive fork decal. The decal seems to be unique to Otasco.

I still think it's an Otasco, based solely on the distinctive fork decal. The decal seems to be unique to Otasco.
you mean this decal?

like on this 1964 Murray Strato Flite?

It is a Murray decal, most Murray bikes of that style had it.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

That's a solo polo early banana seat. Typical but very cool mid 60's customization of a great Murray frame and not an uncommon modifiaction for a 26" model. Basically it's what a buddy of mine (not on the Cabe!) has been doing for five years or so on his bikes thinks he invented it lol, they are badass. Alot of my What Bike Did You Ride posts feature his bikes. Remember this was an extremely 'custom' oriented era with suppliers ready to sell you as much snazzy aftermarket gear as you could hold!

Last edited:
Back