When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fusar Poli branded crimped Rossin frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This is an odd Rossin mid-level frame that was contract built; then outfitted and sold by Cicli Fusar Poli; estimate mid to late '80s. The shop never built their own frames; they still sell frames under their own marque today.
The livery is original (never badged as a Rossin other than stay caps and fork crown panto's) and original Columbus Cromor decals (although they appear to be early style w/o "wavy" lines in the background). Still a lightweight frameset, butted with "GILCO style" 4 flute crimps on down and top tubes. I don't know if Columbus provided their "Cromor" already crimped or if Rossin did it in-house. I haven't seen another crimped "Cromor" frame like it. Does anyone know of any "GILCO style" "Cromor" bikes?
Workmanship is very good; internal top tube and BB cable routing. 125mm rear spacing, 27.0mm seat post. Generic drop-outs front and rear.
From what I know the Fusar Poli marque was established in 1975 by Marino Fusar Poli after retiring from his amateur career, and in collaboration with his brother Luciano who was still participating as an amateur before going pro in the early '80s (Italian Nat'l Track Champ. in '82). Marino acted as a mechanic for many national teams and Luciano coached/coaches national track squads.
I like the "World Champion" color fade (so 80s!) which is pretty unique. I don't think Luciano ever won a World Championship, but their decal boasts the colors also, so I guess no one cared anymore. Their shop still exists, now being run by Luciano's son.
20230218_145511~2.jpg

20230218_154529~2.jpg

20230218_161545~2.jpg

20230218_151821~2.jpg

20230218_153213~2.jpg

20230218_153020~2.jpg

20230218_151318~2.jpg

20230218_160509~2.jpg

20230218_142756~2.jpg

20230218_155500~2.jpg

Last edited:
I know that the "Cromor" name was adopted after needing to retire the "Matrix" name, but I cannot find a definitive year as to when "Matrix" was first introduced, nor when the "Cromor" name replaced it.
The "Cromor" decal on this frame is essentially the same design as the "Matrix" decal so I assume that the frame was made shortly after the name change and before the "Cromor" decal received a face-lift.

I am assuming that the flutes were a custom feature added by Rossin, and were not supplied that way by Columbus.

Early(?) style
s-l1600 - 2023-02-26T030217.765~2.jpg

Later(?) style
s-l1600 - 2023-02-26T030217.765~3.jpg

(Photo credits: cyclomondo)

Last edited:
Columbus Matrix to Cromor timeline confusion continues due to conflicting online posts.

Millfieldvelo: "Late 90s. Columbus Matrix was the first name for Colombus Cromor; Matrix became Cromor when Trek asserted their right to the Matrix name."
This implies that the "Cromor" name started being used in the late 90s. From what I have gathered the "Matrix" name was only used for a couple years in the mid to late 80s before being changed due to a conflict with Trek's (corporate bullies) trademarks.

"Bikeforums" members comments:
P!N20--"Columbus Cromor surfaced in the early 90's I think - it was previously called Matrix."
This comment makes more sense regarding my frame which I can only estimate would have been very early 90s at the latest.
T-Mar--"Columbus introduced Matrix circa 1985-1986 then got into a trademark infringement lawsuit with Trek over their Matrix rims and changed the named of the tubeset to Cromor. This one has the 1987 version of the Cromor decal, so it should be circa 1987-1988."
The decal referred to in this comment matches the decal I have and implies that the "Matrix" name was retired sometime in '86-'87. So I can assume that the 'Poli frame is probably no earlier than 1987 based on the comment.
kayp--"It was only called Matrix tubing for a year or so because there was an issue with the name being copyrighted, unsure of what it was called afterwards. I have an old 85 pinarello with matrix tubing."
Now I assume that "Matrix" tubing was available commercially at least by sometime in 1985, and possibly made available to builders in 1984 if the bike being referred to was made in 1984 for the '85 model year.
SSRI--"...maxtrix is... I had one back in the early 90's..."
I could assume (but do not) that the comment referred to a new bike made in the early '90s, but there is no specific reference as to whether the year of the bike was from the early '90s or merely a used model owned during the time specified. Thus, the comment provides nothing to go on except that "Matrix" was indeed in existence in the early '90s.

My best conclusion is that "Matrix" was being made in 1984; commercially available by 1985, and renamed "Cromor" in 1987. I still have no clue as to when the "Cromor" decal design was changed, but I will take a leap and say that it was modified by 1990.
Thus, my frame would fit in well with its features and geometry as a frame made in '87-'89.
I sent an email to the 'Poli bike shop to see if any more info could be gleaned.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have not received a reply from Cicli "F P" so I will consider contacting Rossin although I think talking to the son of Luciano would have been better due to a more direct connection to those originally involved with the frame. I usually get responses from smaller family shops who are happy to discuss their old bikes, and who are pleased to hear that bikes with their names on them are still on the road.

After continued research on my frame I have found another Rossin frame made with the fluted "Cromor" tubing. It has the later version decal with the wavy lines. At least this kind of indicates that Rossin was making these frames for a couple years. I now know (assume to know) that the tubing was shaped at the the Rossin factory. In a description of their Ghibli frame it states in the catalog that "the Ghibli is built with an exclusive Rossin tubing system forming its own trademarked rippled (fluted) Columbus (SLX) tubing". Since they could shape one type of Columbus tubing it stands to reason that they could do that on any tubing so "Cromor" shaped tubing from the Rossin factory is quite plausible. I have an image of a Rossin with the "Matrix" decal, but the photo does not show the full frame to indicate if the tubing was shaped or not; but at least I know Rossin was using the tubing before the "Matrix" to "Cromor" name change.

Rossin CROMOR FRAME with 4 flutes.jpg

Rossin CROMOR FRAME with 4 flutes tubing decal.jpg

Rossin CROMOR FRAME with 4 flutes front end.jpg

Rossin CROMOR FRAME with 4 flutes down tube.jpg

(photo credit: Thorsten Köster)

Last edited:
Back