When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G&J Rambler w/ curved crankset

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's the IDE - made to fit any bicycle!

BookReaderImages.php.jpeg

So this one is cottered but I'm told the chainbolt pattern & wheel is original G&J hardware, and the arms are factory set to that chainwheel setup so I'm thinking G&J must have dabbled in the same sexy curvy tech!

View attachment 686047
This was the other ad I had Jesse but not at home to post it. I believe I have another one as well and will look for it tonight.

My 2 Cents,,,,,Not an Original G&J Product; BUT, Was Made for G&J as an Experimental Trial Basis on the Model 26 Racer!!!
OR, Someone With Great Metal Working Skills Bent Them!!!
:D

This bike really is a stumper, seems plausible that a G&J patron commissioned IDE to cast a one off-crankset designed for application with a G&J chainwheel & bottom bracket. IF that is the case, could be a truly unique bicycle!

Sidenote- my 1000 Caber talkin message! I think I'll celebrate with a trip to Hershey!

Jesse, I looked through all of my G&J Rambler catalogs and they offered no options for cranks other than a 7-1/4" long throw. Just out of curiosity, what is the overall length of your cranks? I agree with the previous point that these cranks were probably bent after market. I seriously doubt G&J offered them like this unless they had patent rights to manufacture. Ide would have been all over them in lawsuits.

Jesse, I looked through all of my G&J Rambler catalogs and they offered no options for cranks other than a 7-1/4" long throw. Just out of curiosity, what is the overall length of your cranks? I agree with the previous point that these cranks were probably bent after market. I seriously doubt G&J offered them like this unless they had patent rights to manufacture. Ide would have been all over them in lawsuits.

Craig I'm conflicted, the lawsuit issue is obviously a real concern for the 19th c bicycle market but Ide seems to offer the service of furnishing curved cranks, albeit opposite curve, to suit any bicycle as per Bill's ad.
The bends are so clean I can't imagine it was "amateurly" done but catalogs so rarely lie in this way.

It's a stumper! More detailed pics to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the point you are making, but some of us are not amateurs but gifted professional master machinists. There were plenty of gifted master machinists 100+ years ago who could easily have made it look factory manufactured. I'm not trying to dogmatically state that it was bent after market, as there are always other possibilities, merely it would seem the most likely scenario based on G&J catalog information. It is entirely possible that Ide bent these cranks, but I doubt G&J did. Maybe some young fellow wanted these cranks for racing thinking they would provide more torque for that last spurt near the finish line.

Here's a stumper for you fellow TOC'ers-
Did G&J ever use this crankset in a factory capacity or was this an aftermarket addition to the frame?

I only recall seeing these cranks advertised on Ide bikes but I'm always learning!

View attachment 685888

View attachment 685889

View attachment 685890

View attachment 685891

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Jesse,
Like I told you on FB, the cranks on your G&J are curved in the oposite direction that the Ide cranks are curved. The Ide theory is that under heavy forces, the cranks become longer, thus providing more leverage.
Chris

Hi Jesse,
Like I told you on FB, the cranks on your G&J are curved in the oposite direction that the Ide cranks are curved. The Ide theory is that under heavy forces, the cranks become longer, thus providing more leverage.
Chris
That seems theoretically plausible but the way these are curved would offer no benefits that I can see other than possibly shock absorption.

Back