When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 markings

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Coslett

Look Ma, No Hands!
Finally!...the weather here in the NE warmed enough for a vintage bicycle ride!

A few questions for the experts:

I'm wondering if anyone can help with some of the markings on my '43 G519. This bike is in original unrestored condition with original paint.

The markings on the rear fender appear to have been added much later than WW2. I'm really curious about the marking/decal (?) on the inside of the head tube. Any thoughts?

Also, is anyone aware of an individual or entity that offers a legitimate written appraisal of such bikes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_20180424_153720968.jpg

IMG_20180424_153729330.jpg

IMG_20180424_153846898_HDR.jpg

Hi Coslett

OK, my guess on the decal is that it's either a property inventory marking, or a luggage lable for Hellenikon Air Base.

This was a former USAF airbase located in Athens, Greece.

The international code for this airport is HEW. This was shared by US Air transport Command and Greek aviation from 1945 to 1993.

See more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenikon_Air_Base

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellinikon_International_Airport

Being a shared site USA-HEW makes sense to me. But it's only a guess.

The other I assumed was USA 205th HQ something-or-other. Icouldn't find any 205th units at HEW. There are lots of different 205th's elsewhere.

Happy to be proven right or wrong,

Adrian

Could also be it was added later by a vet who served there, added his squadron, unit, etc when the bike was purchased post war. Very common thing to do with military vehicles.

Back