When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 NOS Parts Library

-
Regarding the origins of certain NOS parts, I bought quantities of NOS handlebars and rims from Memory Lane Classics in Bowling Green OH, that was in the early 2000's, all gone now, and don't know where they got them from, but you could ask them.

Lex

Hi Lex @Welbike

Thanks for the further information.

I seem to recall a story of a parts warehouse in the US being cleared before demolition. The handlebars turning up stuffed into a disused lift shaft?

There was such a large number of them, that I have tended to assume they were ordered in advance for a contract in early 1944, which was subsequently cancelled. But that is just guessing (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

Another Bicycle chain:

1669880539254.png

Again, the typist was having a below average day:

MARKED:
STO CLASS H640-2499B
HF 2499B HUFFMAN MFG CO
BICYCLES ALL TYPES G519
1-CHAIN BICYCLES G657
LINES
SERVICABLE DEC 14, 1944
CRESSONA ORDNANCE PLANT

Same chain fitted to a G519.

1669880907649.png

Photos by Andrew O'Bryan

Hi All,

out of interest, since it's been mentioned a few time here, Cressona Ordnance Plant was a defense plant in Cressona, Schuylkill County, Pa, USA.

From this April 5th 1945 document: https://casetext.com/admin-law/day-zimmermann-inc-5

"Day & Zimmermann, Inc., a Maryland corporation, operates a plant at Cressona, Pennsylvania, where it is engaged in the reclamation, repair, and salvage of ordnance materiel which is sent to the plant from overseas and from various points within the United States.
The plant is owned by the Defense Plants Corporation and is leased to the Company. At peak production the Cressona plant processes in excess of 100,000 tons of material weekly. This material is received almost entirely from sources outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and, after processing, is shipped almost entirely to points outside that State."

Below, A WW2 photo of the plant interior:

1669896276237.png

Day and Zimmerman still exist, and mention the plant in their history: https://www.soc-usa.com/blog/the-courageous-and-lesser-known-veterans-patriotic-female-pioneers

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi @catfish

They apear to be the same as G519 pedals, except not painted green. Very nice original condition.

Yeah, I know that was obvious, sorry!

If I had to guess, I would say early 1944. I've had a quick look, and can find other makes/types of blackout pedal bing used on civilian bikes at this point, but not these.

It is thought that the last contract for Westfield G519 was cancelled fairly early into the run, and I suspect parts like these from an outside contractor would need to be ordered in advance of the main production starting, so, in the event of a cancellation, there would be an overrun. It is possible that these are from that. But it is guesswork on my part, I have little evidence.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

Posts 6 and 25 show Diamond chains supplied to Huffman, and repacked late 1945 at Cressona.

@RUDY CONTRATTI recently obtained a chain in theoriginal packaging, full story here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/huffman-dealer-chain-pouch.221460/

sam_7735-jpg.jpg

sam_7732-jpg.jpg

sam_7733-jpg.jpg

sam_7734-jpg.jpg

There is no date on the package, but since it's an ORD or Ordnance contract, (they took over supply responsibility from QM or Quartermasters late 42, it was likely a 43-44 chain.
W-33008-ORD-159 is a sequential contract number. Here are start and end dates for other contracts in the same sequence:

Image extracted from: http://ww.w.usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/baileyproductscorporation.htm
1676370892738-png.png

Contract -159 is slightly earlier, so would be late 1943 to early 1944. This corresponds with the end of G519 production.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back