When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 Ser # 51874

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hello,

Since my spokes, nipples and fender did not arrive today I started work on the rear wheel. Some of the spokes had grown into the rim and nipples. Out of 36 spokes I only broke 10. I was surprised!! There was gobs og old paint besides the rust holding them in. It was a little tiring but I got it done. The rear hub was marked M1. Now to rework the new rims and hope the spokes get here soon.

Fred
Sparta

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

Spokes and nipples...nipples and spokes. Took me all da*n day to lace up my first set if wheels...

Good job getting those off and only losing 10!

Hi Fred,

Thanks for letting us know about the hub.

M1, so first quarter 1943, and some of the parts M2, second quarter 43. There's no reason why the shell should be the latest dated part.

Not the original hub, but a good wartime hub anyway. (-:

And not a surprise, the early bikes by definition see more wear, and are more likely to be repaired before the end of the war than the later bicycles. You can see that of the known survivors close to yours, only two have feasibly their original hubs, and one of those lost it's chainwheel.

1942 D 50531 Curved Bar Military 677 L1 Coffin N/K
1942 D 50546 Curved Bar Military 677 M2 Swirl 12 (Jan 42)
1942 D 51630 Curved Bar Military 677 L1 Swirl 12 (Jan 42)
1942 D 51646 Curved Bar Military 677 M1 Swirl 12 (Jan 42)
1942 D 51874 Curved Bar Military 677 M1 Swirl 22 (Feb 42)

I don't know the hub date on mine yet, part of the Great Unboxing fun (-:

Stay Safe,

Adrian

Bill,

Thanks a lot. That was my next question!! Was it a 57 link chain? The manual states that it was.

Fred
Sparta

Fred,

The chains for these bikes typically have 56 - 1'' roller links ( which come in contact and roll over the sprocket teeth) and 55 connecting links ( connect the roller links together). There should also be a master link, which in effect is a connecting link with a spring clip that allows for connecting the two ends of the chain together once it is in place on the bike . So actually there are 112 links on the chain ( 56 roller, 55 connecting, 1 master = 112) You are correct the Tech. Manual does state 57 links. Unless I am mistaken that number is in reference to the 56- 1'' roller and 1 master link. Also the total length of the complete chain with master link is approximately ( just a bit under) 57''. Hope this helps?

Regards,
Bill

Fred,

The chains for these bikes typically have 56 - 1'' roller links ( which come in contact and roll over the sprocket teeth) and 55 connecting links ( connect the roller links together). There should also be a master link, which in effect is a connecting link with a spring clip that allows for connecting the two ends of the chain together once it is in place on the bike . So actually there are 112 links on the chain ( 56 roller, 55 connecting, 1 master = 112) You are correct the Tech. Manual does state 57 links. Unless I am mistaken that number is in reference to the 56- 1'' roller and 1 master link. Also the total length of the complete chain with master link is approximately ( just a bit under) 57''. Hope this helps?

Regards,
Bill

Bill,

This answers all of my questions about this chain. Thanks for the knowledge update. :)

Fred
Sparta.

Fred,

Regards,
Bill

Bill, That answer right there is going to save a lot of time, money and aggravation. Thank you.

Hello,

Checking out some paint today. Today I sprayed a couple of different things, Chain adjusters, nipples and spokes. I painted the ones on the left with Testors Flat Olive Drab Fs 34087 The items on the right with WWII OD Lusterless 33070 from Army Jeep Parts. the items on the left have a slightly more brown tinge to them, a little more green on the right side.

Fred
Sparta

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

Hello,

Checking out some paint today. Today I sprayed a couple of different things, Chain adjusters, nipples and spokes. I painted the ones on the left with Testors Flat Olive Drab Fs 34087 The items on the right with WWII OD Lusterless 33070 from Army Jeep Parts. the items on the left have a slightly more brown tinge to them, a little more green on the right side.

Fred
Sparta

View attachment 1166530

View attachment 1166531
Hi Fred,
I always use the 33070 either from AJP or Rapco.

Regards,
Bill

Back