When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 Ser # 51874

-
Hello Chris;
Sorry for the delay, i forgot you; your pedals are roman style and are those of your HUFFMAN.
Regards;
Serge

Hello All,

I got her home and she is getting a bath in wd-40. There hasn't been a drop of lube on this bike in quite a while. The back rim is rusted through but almost everything else looks pretty good. Time will tell when I get it apart!!

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Hello,

Starting to disassemble the G519. It has been sitting someplace for quite some time. The back rim is rusted through. It appears that the front one can probably be saved. The front axle threads on one side are pretty much gone. The seat needs to be rebuilt......... a ton of work in which I will enjoy. I got it about half disassembled. I had to cut the small bolts for the chain guard, and rear fender. The were so rusted they had become 1 piece with the nuts. The goose neck is still tight as is the head set. I am letting them set for another day before I try anything else. It appears that it had at least 3 coats of paint. I can see the light green/yellow primer and an additional 2-3 coats. The last coat might have been gloss from the paint behind the chain guard. The civilian plate was for Des Moines Iowa good till 1953. I haven't cleaned the hubs and wheels but I did get behind the forks and it appears to be a number 22 on the back side. There are 2 locks locked on the bike. Are either of these issue locks? Thanks again.

Fred
Sparta

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMO the locks are not Army issue.... Most riders would have locked their bikes with US Army issued padlocks and a piece of chain...
There were some specific bicycle locks available in the 40s, but they would have been purchased outside the Armed Forces…

Both above are shown on this page of my website: http://www.theliberator.be/militarybicycles.htm

Enjoy the build of your bike, it is very close to my 1942 Huffman featured on this board too

Hello Johan,

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of newer Brass US marked locks that I will probably use. Was there a standard Rear reflector that came on this bike?? Thanks.

Fred

Here are some newer Army marked locks that I have. They will have to do until I find a nice period one.

Fred
Sparta

IMG_0063.JPG

Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply. This is interesting!! I am going to have to do some serious searching for one of these!!

Fred

I thought the rear fender reflector should be the small (about 1.25”)
raspberry type . Sorry, no photos to post, but they’re here on this site.

And I gotta say, your project Huffman G-519 is amazing. Bring that
baby back to life!

Last edited:
Back